Some sort of disease.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kromlech54

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so about a week ago I had the starting of an ick outbreak. I treated the tank for ick and it disappeared. Now I have a female gbr in my tank that two white spots on her left side (see bad pics below). First thing I thought 2 as fungus so I treated tank with fungus fizz tabs, but the ailment didn't disappear. So i did a 50% wc and re introdcued the carbon filters to get rid of the previous medication. Today i went and bought some melafix and pimafix but it wants me to add a 15.5 ml (36 gal tank) dose of each per day without wc's for 7 days and no filtration. Am I reading this right? Just don't wanna over dose the tank and kill all the fish. Also I have read that these two medicines have bad reactions with gourami's is this true or will my lone gourami be ok? Also reason I'm dosing the whole tank is cause I don't have a qt tank at this time or else I would be using it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here are some pictures though they are not very good.

Attachments

• 1402032797996.jpg
    1402032797996.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1402032818733.jpg
    1402032818733.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 65
Ok so about a week ago I had the starting of an ick outbreak. I treated the tank for ick and it disappeared. Now I have a female gbr in my tank that two white spots on her left side (see bad pics below). First thing I thought 2 as fungus so I treated tank with fungus fizz tabs, but the ailment didn't disappear. So i did a 50% wc and re introdcued the carbon filters to get rid of the previous medication. Today i went and bought some melafix and pimafix but it wants me to add a 15.5 ml (36 gal tank) dose of each per day without wc's for 7 days and no filtration. Am I reading this right? Just don't wanna over dose the tank and kill all the fish. Also I have read that these two medicines have bad reactions with gourami's is this true or will my lone gourami be ok? Also reason I'm dosing the whole tank is cause I don't have a qt tank at this time or else I would be using it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

You can continue filtration, just no carbon. That's how I've always read it for dosing as well - redose each day so it increases in the tank. I have continued with water changes which gives it a bit lighter dose.

I have never treated bettas/gouramis with these so I can't comment except that they also make a product betafix which is a dilute form of melafix it seems (which suggests melafix may be too strong for fish with a labyrinth organ). General reading here I think it is not recommended. Yet to find a study paper on this.

If you use it make sure it is well mixed with water before adding. I've found fish swimming straight through it added to the tank directly don't do well.

IMO both these are more for low level infections and can be hit/miss. I'd try it but if no improvement after 4 days switch to something else.

Also keep an eye on your fish and do a water change / run carbon if they have a bad reaction to it.

Your Tank Water

Hello Krom...

Tank problems are water related. So, you'll need to get the water as cleaned up as possible. An aggressive water change routine of changing at least half the water every few days will help. If you believe you have active parasites in the water, then do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material when you change the water. Raising the water temp 10 degrees will also help. Heat will shorten the life span of the parasite. Dimming the lights can also help. Parasites locate a host by sight.

Keep the food to a minimum. Infected fish won't be hungry and you don't want uneaten food to further foul the water.

If you've caught this infection early, heat, fresh water and good vacuuming will help. Just keep up this routine until you see improvement.

B

How long did you treat the ich infection for and what's the temp of your tank? Did you treat the ich after it disappeared from your fish or stop treatment? I could not see the spots you were referring to on your fish in the pic.. but depending on the temp the white spots could be another ich infection.. ich can be a pretty tricky booger.. When ich is on your fish it is not susceptible to treatment.. the only time it is it is susceptible or killed is when it has dropped off of your fish.. and the whole cycle can take 10-14 days most people you ask will tell you to treat your fish for a minimal of 10-14 days and remember it only takes one single protozoan to reinfect your tank and start the whole process over again.. it' and you also just treated once for fungal infection? sounds like your not giving the medications time to work>? most meds require more than one treatment.. many things also decrease the effectiveness of the meds you put in there.. if you have high nitrates or lots of organic maternal in your tank they are going to make your meds ineffective

Again i'm no expert by far.. their are many online with more experience than me but.. IMO if i were you i would look very closely look online and find something that looks like the infection your fish has and decide on a diagnosis then decide on a treatment and stick with that treatment until the fish gets better.. Also from my experience you will see many bottles will tell you not to change the water for x amnt of days.. i don't know i 100% agree with that.. many meds after a certain amnt of time breakdown into different products and are no longer effective at treating what your trying to kill.. those byproducts are often toxic materials to fish which further increase the stress.. personally what i do is water changes daily before i dose the med.. suctioning out water and gravel IMO decreases the amount of protozoans or bacteria in the water and or gravel.. then waiting 30min to an hr to ensure that treatment med is not affected by prime.. and redoes based on guidelines.. just my thoughts hope it is helpful

Here is a better pick

Attachments

• 1402172165936.jpg
    1402172165936.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 55
from that picture it looks like to me it is a fungal infection.. the white blotches.. i may would get some pimafix helps to treat fungus plus and supposed to be safe with plants and on more sensitive fish.. but yes the way that looks it looks like a fungal infection probably not bacterial.. an

Can you QT that fish? I've never used the jungle fizz but hadn't heard bad things about it. It's either fungal or bacterial (I would of thought fungal as well) but it sounds fairly serious if one lot of meds has made no difference to it.

Yeah i agree if you could qt that would be best.. your meds would be more effective for sure and you might not spread.. and as for jungle fizz never used it either but pimafix i think would be your best bet! esp since it's white and large like that it's pretty indicative of a fungal infec.
Hope it turns out ok

Well not able to qt, but have started dosing pimafix and melafix, just in case something slips through the cracks.

Just keep an eye on them both meds combined can decrease the O2 in their water a pretty good bit if you notice severe stress I would do inserted water change.. If you haven't already done it may be helpful to lower your water level to increase decrease surface tension of the water and may help increase O2

Thanks for the the tip I'll keep an eye on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom