Someone is Finally Cycled/Pygmy Cory Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauroposeidon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Exactly 1 month of fish-in cycling with a 2" bristlenose, and I'm reading 0/0/5! If they don't change over the next week, I'll go ahead and introduce 6 pygmies I'm buying today!

image-3687779638.jpg.

Would it be helpful if I posted the log? I know fish-in cycling is preferable but not always possible like in my case.

And . . . stock plans!

image-1004494744.jpg

That sounds like a good stock! IMO though you would be maxed out even though aquadvisor says 72% but that should look great:).

I don't know if you already got the pygmy cories but honestly I would not advice putting them in a newly cycled tank. They are more delicate and should really be introduced into a mature tank, no earlier than 4 months.

I don't know if you already got the pygmy cories but honestly I would not advice putting them in a newly cycled tank. They are more delicate and should really be introduced into a mature tank, no earlier than 4 months.

I have another tank that has been set up for 5 months. When I got this 20, I put media in the other to seed it. I was going to introduce the seeded media before my cories got out of quarantine. I thought this would be okay and be able to handle a slight rise in bio load. Besides, the store was out of them today, and it will be another 2 weeks before I can get them anyways.

A mature tank isn't about being cycled. There was a thread on the General forum asking what a mature tank was and my answer was pretty much this...

A system that can handle minor changes without a fluctuation/crash and water parameters are stable. The tank has gone through the initial cycles, bacterial blooms, the diatom surge (if it's going to happen), and such. Also the tank has had enough time to build up a thriving colony of micro-fauna and -flora and biofilm.

Some species of fish do not do well as they are too sensitive to newer tanks who's water parameters are often unstable. So honestly is you get them it would be good to add them to the older tank if at all possible.

A mature tank isn't about being cycled. There was a thread on the General forum asking what a mature tank was and my answer was pretty much this...

A system that can handle minor changes without a fluctuation/crash and water parameters are stable. The tank has gone through the initial cycles, bacterial blooms, the diatom surge (if it's going to happen), and such. Also the tank has had enough time to build up a thriving colony of micro-fauna and -flora and biofilm.

Some species of fish do not do well as they are too sensitive to newer tanks who's water parameters are often unstable. So honestly is you get them it would be good to add them to the older tank if at all possible.

I had no idea they were different. :( I'll move them over to the newer tank after it matures some more then.

Back
Top Bottom