someone to eat my pond snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm curious if there is a type of snail or something (Cory, loaches, ect) that will eat pond snail eggs and possibly pond snails.... here is my dilemma, I need some who can live in an 8g tank, with plants .. because I know with the new plants I got today I will have hitchhikers .

a betta will be living in this tank so all inhabitants need to be betta safe :)

I was thinking clown loach until you said 8 gallon... I dont no of any plecos or loaches that would do well in an 8 g. Have you actually seen pond snails yet? Or are you just assuming there are some?

I know endlers luv snail eggs and juveniles. They're to small to tackle adult snails tho would work to keep a pond snail population in check.

Why don't you just dip your new plants before introduction to the tank? You can use bleach, hydrogen peroxide or potassium permanganate solutions. You could also quarantine them in a different tank/container for a number of weeks.

I have used a group of corys wen my mum had it in her tank and they work well or as previously said an assassin snail but just one or they will eventually mate and give you more problems :) don't cichlids eat them?

Oh and your betta might eat/kill the pond snails. I have a few bettas that will not tolerate snails whatsoever. Honestly, lots of fish out there have the possibility of going after them. So, I would think, get a more aggressive betta and maybe an assassin snail and they will keep your snail population under control.

Assassin snail. Once the pond snails are gone, they'll eat sinking shrimp pellets for catfish and bottom dwellers.

Yes cichlids eat them but we're talkin about an 8gal and IMO even a pair of shelldwellers would be crowded.

I personally believe you shouldnt get a fish just to take care of a problem. If they do do a job, thats and added bonus. I got corys and shrimp becuz they looked cool.

Anyway, yeah, assasin snails will do a good job.

I love snails, so I would just get them for this, he will be a life ling rank mate to my betta. I have mystery snails and a nerite snail in other tank.. I was just wondering if I could find something to serve a duel purpose.. plants will be initially placed in this 8g tank, it will be a grow out tank for plants, then I will move them to my other tanks.. so pond snails are to be expected..

mumma: I never knew about dipping before, so that sounds like a great solution

thank you everyone , for now I will wait and see if I end up with snails, I can pick them off and put them in my 60g, lots of my fish and especially my coolies loaches live to eat them

The other thing that helps control snail population is to keep a closer eye on feeding. Overfeeding results in population booms. Feeding pellets makes it a bit easier to keep any leftovers from getting to them. That combined with manual removal will take care of the snail population in short order.

I will be very watchful in regards to feeding... I do not have any fish in the tank right now.. it will be home to a single betta but I figured I should wait to get him since I'm going out of state for a few days for my grandmas funeral .. but as soon as I get back I will rescue a betta from 1 of those awful cups at the lfs

jetajockey said:
I wouldn't consider buying a cup betta a 'rescue', but that's a whole different topic in itself.

Hope the trip goes smoothly and look forward to updates when you get back.

you are right that's not the right way to think of it. but I'm happy I can provide one with an adequate home instead of a fish bowl or something.. but it is another subject (a controversial one)

I will post a picture of the tank tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom