Something ate my guppies tail. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrysAnn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank set up for around 3 weeks now. I went out of town to a pet store and came back with some new fish to add to my aquarium. When I woke up this morning my fancy guppy no longer had a tail and was hiding in a log. I tried keeping most of my fish to be peaceful, but I accidentally bought two kinds that were semi-aggressive. That being said, I never had a problem with any of my fish being aggressive until now.
My fish are:
Albino Bushy Nose Plecostomus
Black Skirt Tetra
Glo Tetra
Red Eye Tetra
Cherry Barb
Tiger Barb
Kissing Fish
Glo-Fish
Black Tip Shark
Red Flame Endler's Livebearer Guppies
X ray tetra*
Fancy Guppies*
Albino Dwarf African Frog*
Kuhli Loach*
* are the new fish I just got

I have a feeling it is my tiger barb that is attacking my guppy. Do you think it is the same? Do you think I should get rid of my tiger barbs because of their aggressiveness anyways? I want my tank to remain pretty peaceful. (The kissing gouramis is the only other "semi aggressive fish"

Any and all help would be wonderful!

Any of the tetras or barbs could do it. Its not about being semi aggressive, its about the snack. Over stocking a tank can also bring aggressiveness out in a tank, no matter what the stocking.

Too many?

I have 26 fish total in a 75 gallon tank. With the size of my aquarium (75 gallons) I was told I have plenty of room for the fish that I have. Was I told wrong? None of my fish are over 2 inches long except the Plecostamus, Columbian Shark an the 2 kuhli loaches (just babies) which are around 3 inches long.
I've noticed the larger of my tiger barbs chasing around the other tiger barb pretty regularly. That is why I was suspecting it was him.

I have a pic of my tank in my albums. I don't know how to post it on here.

Last edited:
hmm, ok. That is a lot of different types of fish in one tank. Are you able to give an exact stocking. IE how many of each fish you have?

You have a lot of room in your tank but a lot of schoolers and if their numbers are not right they can turn aggressive. You also have some fish that are known nippers, like the tiger barbs & black skirts. With a bit more detail it would be easier to help or give advice

Yep I know exactly what I have. :)

Black Skirt Tetra 2
Glo Tetra 2
Red Eye Tetra 2
Cherry Barb 2
Tiger Barb 2
Kissing Fish 2
Glo-Fish 2
Black Tip Shark
Red Flame Endler's Livebearer Guppies 2
X ray tetra 2
Fancy Guppies 2
Albino Dwarf African Frog 2
Kuhli Loach 2

I know that the Cherry barbs like to school (what I've been told anyways) so I was going to get at least one or two more females but they were out of stock. My guppies are all schooling together and most of my tetras are schooling together as well. The two glo fish stick with the guppies a lot. The kissing gouramis usually stick to themselves like the shark and the pleco. I haven't seen the frogs in a while.

the problem is that the fish are not in proper schools like they need to be in. A proper school for barbs and tetras is atleast 6 but 8 is better. i also dont reccomend keeping guppies ir any longfinned fish with barbs because barbs are notorious finnippers.

CrysAnn said:
Yep I know exactly what I have. :)

Black Skirt Tetra 2
Glo Tetra 2
Red Eye Tetra 2
Cherry Barb 2
Tiger Barb 2
Kissing Fish 2
Glo-Fish 2
Black Tip Shark
Red Flame Endler's Livebearer Guppies 2
X ray tetra 2
Fancy Guppies 2
Albino Dwarf African Frog 2
Kuhli Loach 2

I know that the Cherry barbs like to school (what I've been told anyways) so I was going to get at least one or two more females but they were out of stock. My guppies are all schooling together and most of my tetras are schooling together as well. The two glo fish stick with the guppies a lot. The kissing gouramis usually stick to themselves like the shark and the pleco. I haven't seen the frogs in a while.

Black skirt tetras and Glo Tetras (altered black skirts) can also be finnippers.

This is what i would do;
8 tiger barbs
8 cherry barbs
6 black skirts
6 glo tetras
2 kissing fish
7 Kuhli loaches

The other tetras should be rehomed because they really need schools of atleast 6-8 and you dont have the room to do that for every fish. The guppies should be rehomed because they simply wont do well with barbs. You could maybe buy a ten gallon for guppies only. The columbian shark should also be rehomed because when they get older they need salt in the water.

I am getting rid of the tiger barbs. The guy at the pet store said as long as my tetras are schooling together despite their species they should be fine. I do plan on getting at least one more female cherry barb but I am for sure getting rid of the tigers. I dont need aggressive fish in my tank. The loaches are just babies but once I am able to purchase more (it's a 3 hour drive to get any fish) I have every intention on buying 2 more. I also plan on getting 2 more bushy nose plecos.

CrysAnn said:
I am getting rid of the tiger barbs. The guy at the pet store said as long as my tetras are schooling together despite their species they should be fine. I do plan on getting at least one more female cherry barb but I am for sure getting rid of the tigers. I dont need aggressive fish in my tank. The loaches are just babies but once I am able to purchase more (it's a 3 hour drive to get any fish) I have every intention on buying 2 more. I also plan on getting 2 more bushy nose plecos.

i would only reccomed getting one more if you get anymore because they are avid algae eaters and will compete for food to the point where one may die.

Back
Top Bottom