Something I heard about shrimp molts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
So somewhere I read that when your shrimp molt to leave them in the tank, that it puts calcium back in the water. (I think that's what it was) Which is good for them. Is this true?

Thanks!

Yep! They'll disappear in a few days; shrimp love to munch on them. It's a really good source of calcium for them. :p

I can agree with that. I know that they will eat there molt which gives them back nutrients.

Ah perfect, exactly what I had read. It just makes me wonder sometimes if I dreamed it up or actually read that somewhere creditable:p

Thanks guys!

Adding calcium is also good for them... especially if you don't have much in your tap. Cuttlebone ( I think that's how it's spelled) that is sold in the bird section in pet stores is a good way to add it. Not necessary, but definitely good for shrimp, and even snails.

mfdrookie516 said:
Adding calcium is also good for them... especially if you don't have much in your tap. Cuttlebone ( I think that's how it's spelled) that is sold in the bird section in pet stores is a good way to add it. Not necessary, but definitely good for shrimp, and even snails.

How much would be good to add? Its a 2.5, so I can't imagine needing much.

The one I bought was about 6" long. I just broke off a piece and put it down in the substrate. It only cost me about $1 and some tax. Just a small piece in there would be plenty. Again, not needed... but wouldn't be a bad idea.

mfdrookie516 said:
The one I bought was about 6" long. I just broke off a piece and put it down in the substrate. It only cost me about $1 and some tax. Just a small piece in there would be plenty. Again, not needed... but wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'm all for doing anything to help, I'll get some next time I go to my lfs.

Do you need to replace over time? Or does it breakdown and your replenish as needed? I'm assuming the same piece won't last forever.

It takes a while, but you'll have to add more at some point down the road. pH has a lot to do with it. The lower the pH, the faster it's absorbed in the water column, at least that's how I understand it.

Back
Top Bottom