Something is wrong with my rotala wallichi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put this Rotala wallichi in my tank several weeks ago. My crabs started to get into them and started sniffing the bases of the plant so I kept having floating Rotala everywhere. So I got rid of the crabs and replanted all the Rotala. Over the past few weeks I've been dealing with a major algae problem. As of now the algae problem has been taken care of everything seems to look normal in my tank except my Rotala. The plant never seems to get bushy at all and the leaves never grow full length. This is my first time with Rotala wallichi I need help what am I doing wrong?

Rosy barbs
Altum angelfish
Neon tetras
Rummy nose tetras
Bushy nose plecos
Gouramis
Rainbow shark
Clown loaches

55 gallon tank
216 watts of light
Sunsun 303B canister filter
DIY yeast co2 with ista max mix co2 reactor

Is there any algae growing on it? It might be very small and non-filamentous. Is the pink growth you have the newest growth?

There may be algae on it I can't tell it could even be dead algae but the pink has been there for a few days

I can tell you that my Angelfish and DG's love the Wallichii. They often pick the end pieces off the leaves and nip the tops off. I have to suppliment my fish daily with cooked, deshelled, smushed peas, and hang either a couple slices of blanched zucchini or a broccoli floret on veggie clips daily. This allows the fsh that like to nibble a chance to have their greens and not nibble on plants as much.

Also what is you Gh and Kh since Wallichii likes softer water?

I think they like the feel of it. It has a similar texture to filamentous algae. I've had the most issues with SAE munching mine.

At this point, I think watchful waiting is the best course. Keep an eye on it to see if it's still growing stunted. Algae will very easily smother this particular plant, so you should act aggressively if you think that's what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom