Something to eat algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newkeeperotis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys

I have a 35gal which is very near stocked and I'm very happy with it but my 2 shrimp just won't cut it when it comes to keeping my algae right down its not out of control just a steady production which is normal as far as I'm aware I would like something to eat the algae but not a pleco as I'm not a fan I think there ugly maybe a fancy cat or something else

All suggestions welcome I am going to the pet store at 8pm tonight so answers before then please

flying foxes are small and have a small bioload and do a pretty good job on the algae. otherwise i would suggest a nerite snail they cant breed in fresh water so it wont overpopulate the tank

I think that that was the longest run- on sentence I have ever read

Sorry I'm dispracsic so spelling and grammar is not my strong suit I want to stay away from snails if possible any other suggestions :)

Sorry I'm dispracsic so spelling and grammar is not my strong suit I want to stay away from snails if possible any other suggestions :)

I'm just messing with you haha. I am kind of in the same situation as you and tomorrow I will be picking up some cory cats and ghost shrimp.

Not all algae eaters eat all types of algae and some algae no algae eater will eat. The best thing to do is correct the reason your having an algae issue. How long do you run your lights daily? When having algae issues you should only run your lights 6 hours a day. Is your tank planted? Do you know your nitrate reading? How often do you do WC's and how much to you normally change? Also can you post a picture of the algae so it can be identified? Some algae can be spot treated.

A Bristlenose Pleco IMO is the best algae eater around I had one and it kept my tank pretty much spotless. Oto cats do a good job though to.

It's the normal green algae I do weekly 50% changes nitrates between 10-20 ppm I'm guessing its just the normal bit of algae that tanks get as my lights only on 6hrs a day I got 4 Otos and they seem extremely happy in the tank :)

Back
Top Bottom