Something wrong with snail shell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416153225.217866.jpg

I have four mystery snails and I have noticed that their shells are discoloured at the front. My PH is 6.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <20. The tank mates are one blue dwarf gourami, 3 Molly fry and an albino pleco (I think). I was wondering if it could be from having such a low ph or a calcium problem. I don't have a test for calcium if there even is one. Could it be from them growing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I forgot to mention there are 5 peppered cories in the tank also.

The biggest problem is the pH.. they need a pH that is a minimum of 7, preferably 7.2 or more. Acidic water causes shells to deteriorate, sometimes causing erosion that can become fatal. You may be seeing that on the growing edges.. all new growth comes from the leading edge of the shell.

Calcium in the diet and the water is important, but without reasonably hard, alkaline water, they can't use calcium as effectively to maintain their shells over the long term.

Your cories and especially the mollies will appreciate harder, alkaline water a lot more too, neither of them are fish from acid or soft waters.

If that's a vacation feeder block, it's a great way to get them extra dietary calcium, btw.

What is the best way to raise the ph?

Back
Top Bottom