Spinning Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randomguy1191

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. 3 days ago I noticed that one of my neon tetras was behaving very erratically, spinning, spiraling, back flipping, and floating head up.

I placed him inside this box within the tank so he doesn't hurt himself. The behavior isn't as violent as it was before, but he's still continuing it. There are no noticeable marks on his body, although he has been very pale.

The tank is a 10 gallon planted that he has been in for about 8 months. I did a big rescape two weeks ago that involved a 100% water change, but the gravel, plants, etc remained the same.
The tank has 7 neon tetras, 3 otos, and 1 dwarf gourami.
The filter is an AC50.
The water parameters seem in order with a ph of 6.8, 0ppm ammonia and nitrites, and 5ppm nitrates, temp at 80.

Here's a link to a youtube video of the fish, I hope it helps the diagnosis.

Thank you for any help you guys can give me!

Could this possibly be whirling disease? I know there's no cure for that and euthanization is recommend, but I want to be sure it's whirling disease before the little guys dies for something that could be cured.

Hey guys, it's been a week now since I've noticed this behavior. He is currently in a 2.5 gallon quarantine, he still acts strange in that he swims crooked and flips once a minute, but it's no where near as bad as before. His colors are back as well. Maybe it goes away, maybe not, I'm going to hold off on any euthanasia. Does no one have a clue what it could be?

I had this happen after I fed my tetras a bad batch of bloodworms. The ones that caught this disease ended up dying. If this continues for an extended period of time even if it isn't extreme I would reccomend euthanasia. We shall see how it goes though keep us posted

This happened to many of my neons, because the lfs I got them from had the disease in their tank. It killed all of the affected fish in less than two days, so it's interesting (and good!) that yours is doing better!
Edit - The more I think about it, mine didn't look exactly like that, so your condition is probably different

Back
Top Bottom