Spiriulina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been feeding my fish Zoo Med Spirulina but came across NLS Optimum flakes at my LFS today. Just wanted some opinions on which might be better.

Attachments

• image-1911007589.jpg
    image-1911007589.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 108
I know I sound like a broken record with NLS but there is a difference in the quality of ingredients. Spirulina 20 isn't a bad food choice but I don't like the fact that they use Salmon meal instread of being labeled as “Whole Salmon Meal”, this indicates this meal is comprised of the skins, scales, bones, internal organs, and other leftovers deemed unusable for human consumption. Where NLS uses the entire fish. The other positive aspect of NLS flakes is they also have a high dosage of garlic, while not as high as Thera still better than most other food offerings. Buy them in bulk and keep what your not using in the freezer, it's way cheaper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 109
I know I sound like a broken record with NLS but there is a difference in the quality of ingredients. Spirulina 20 isn't a bad food choice but I don't like the fact that they use Salmon meal instread of being labeled as “Whole Salmon Meal”, this indicates this meal is comprised of the skins, scales, bones, internal organs, and other leftovers deemed unusable for human consumption. Where NLS uses the entire fish. The other positive aspect of NLS flakes is they also have a high dosage of garlic, while not as high as Thera still better than most other food offerings. Buy them in bulk and keep what your not using in the freezer, it's way cheaper.

That's what it looks like under my tank.. Enough NLS for an army.. LoL! My wife thinks I'm crazy. Yeah I figured since NLS is the best pellet why not go with the flake too.

That's what it looks like under my tank.. Enough NLS for an army.. LoL! My wife thinks I'm crazy. Yeah I figured since NLS is the best pellet why not go with the flake too.

I know mine to, that's just in my fish room. I still have another 12 or so jars near the big tank and upstairs.

How important is it to have different types of nls to feed?

Most NLS formulas are very close so that's not terribly important but the size selection is, that's why they have so many pellet sizes. You want to find the correct size pellet where the fish can swallow it whole rather than chewing which creates excess waste. I feed Thera to every fish from new world, rift lake, to small schooling tropical tetras.

Hukit, what's the word on dainichi cichlid food? I make their food, but been looking to that as well.

Hukit, what's the word on dainichi cichlid food? I make their food, but been looking to that as well.

Run of the mill fish food, there is nothing special in their ingredient list. Here is there list in the cichlid formula:

INGREDIENTS: White fish meal, wheat germ, wheat flour, shrimp, spirulina, soybean meal, krill, brewers yeast, calcium montmorillonite clay, powdered milk, vitamin mix, mineral mix, garlic, protease and natural gum.

They don't even take the time to break down their vitamin list, I'm not a fan of two of the first ingredients are binding agents, and the use of montmorillonite clay in fish food is debatable.

If I wasn't using NLS I'd be using Repashy Superfoods( I did a test using this exclusively for 6 months) here is their list, lots of great stuff in there, plus I love the delivery system. I liked it so much that I became a vendor of Allen Repashy's product.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Krill Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Whole Sardine Meal, Dried Brewers Yeast, Spirulina Algae, Chlorella Algae, Carrageenan Algae, Dried Kelp, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Schizochytrium Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Last edited:

I also like to feed the larger pellets to the larger fish first then when I put the smaller pellets in for the smaller fish the don't get bullied as bad. Imagine a Frontosa feeding at the same time as a Lulupi..

I also like to feed the larger pellets to the larger fish first then when I put the smaller pellets in for the smaller fish the don't get bullied as bad. Imagine a Frontosa feeding at the same time as a Lulupi..

Ha right, I thought about getting some bigger pellets for my bigger peacocks. But I have some pretty ballsy juvenile mbunas that will snatch some up, take them into a cave and probably make a mess with them.

Back
Top Bottom