Spixi snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Courtney8526

Aquarium Advice Regular
My spixi snails have been laying eggs and they have been getting eaten a few days afterwards. How can I move the eggs to another tank without harming the eggs?

Just scrape them off the glass, or remove whatever decor/plant they are attached to and move that. Spixi eggs are REALLY tough.

Hey-who's eating them? Most fish find them really distasteful.

I'm not sure who is eating them, I haven't seen anyone eat them but I read that spixis will eat them. There are a couple of platies in there and a dwarf gourami. So, I don't know. Can I just use my hands to take them off the glass? Will they attach to the glass in the second tank good?

I'd use a razor blade to remove them. Tough or not, you do want to avoid applying pressure to the eggs directly if you can avoid it. Scraping off the jelly mass shouldn't hurt them though.

I doubt it matters if they attach to anything in the new tank, as long as there isn't anything dangerous for them to float into.

I've also had a little success placing a protective barrier around eggs where they are. Hardware stores carry a special washer for filtering wash machine water that consists of a rubber ring with a dome of fine wire mesh that allows gas exchange but keeps fish out. You just have to find a way to stick it to the glass over the egg mass. Unfortunately newly hatched snails seem to be just as tasty as eggs, and my survival rate once they leave the enclosure is... negligible. I'd be surprised if the snails would eat them once they hatch, though, if the fish weren't interested.

Back
Top Bottom