Sponge Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikkik0720

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm not quite sure where this post should go, so I figured the Getting Started topic would probably be okay.

This is probably a really stupid question, but I see all these posts saying about setting up a sponge filter in fry/spawning tanks. How do I do this? Can someone explain it in simple terms? I found a sponge filter on amazon, but what do I need to 'make it work'? I don't know if I'm even making sense...

I've read some places that you just need an air pump/tubing, other's say they need a powerhead and an air pump. So which is it? And how do I set one up?

Air pump and tubing. One end into the discharge on the pump and the other into the sponge nipple. Place in tank. Some sit on bottom some suction cup to glass. With dry hands, plug into wall and all set. If your pump is lower than the water line, a check valve is recommended. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10109
Also be sure to have a drip loop in the electrical cord for safety.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Awesome. Thank you! I know they have to be set up in a main tank first to get the beneficial bacteria before being placed in a fry tank

Starting your new sponge filter in your main tank is a good way to seed it. It may take quite a few weeks of course. When it's put into your other tank I would personally dose with ammonia to 2ppm and check it can process ammonia and nitrite to zero in 24 hrs. If it does, well and good. If not then your sponge may be seeded but the colony not strong enough for stocking. It may take a while to grow the colony on, treating the tank as if fishless cycling, but it will cycle much faster than using a brand new filter. However, starting the sponge off in the main tank would be my plan too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I have several fully cycled main tanks to start it in. So do I need a power head? Or just an air pump?

If you are using the filter for fry, I strongly suggest NOT using a powerhead for the filter. It's an unnecessary risk that the current will be too strong for the fry. If you are using it as a regular filter for a main display tank, the powerhead option is a good fit.

Hope this helps. (y)

I generally consider a sponge filter seeded and ready once it has spent 3-4 weeks in the main tank. I've set up several smaller tanks this way and never a hint of a cycle when they were stocked.

I generally consider a sponge filter seeded and ready once it has spent 3-4 weeks in the main tank. I've set up several smaller tanks this way and never a hint of a cycle when they were stocked.

This works, but you can also speed up the process by using some of the "gunk" from inside an existing running filter and stocking slowly. ( For fish fry, only overfeeding is really the issue.) Just squeeze out some of the water from and/or swish the material you are getting the bacteria from into the new tank and you will have innocullated both types of nitrifying bacteria. As long as your PH is in the alkaline range, they should continue to grow based on the bioload. Again tho, you will need to stock carefully and monitor your ammonia level. I've been doing this style of cycling for decades with very good results. It's all about stocking levels. ;) (y) All my Angel fry tanks start with a new sponge filter and a squish from their Mom & Dad's filter. (y)

Okay. Thanks everyone :)

I have a pair of angels (ones a known female, and the other the breeder is almost positive is a male) and I want to set up a fry tank. I also have a trio (yes I know its almost impossible) of gouramis (two gold and a pearl) who have tried to spawn in the main community tank but failed because the other fish eat the eggs/destroy the nest.
I figured a fry tank will be a good thing to have set up and running ahead of time.

So just a sponge filter hooked up to an air pump and run it in (one of) the cycled tanks for a few weeks. Awesome :)

Back
Top Bottom