Sponge ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Saw this in a friends tank and he is not sure what it is , I think it's a sponge what u guys think?

Attachments

• image-3710454939.jpg
    image-3710454939.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 109
Maybe some type of macro? Could possibly be a sponge but I haven't seen one like that before. Sponges have holes in them to breath with. Does this thing have air holes?

DWilliams said:
Maybe some type of macro? Could possibly be a sponge but I haven't seen one like that before. Sponges have holes in them to breath with. Does this thing have air holes?

I was gonna say the same thing about the filter holes. Also, is that white stuff on top sand or part of the thing?

Petrichor said:
I was gonna say the same thing about the filter holes. Also, is that white stuff on top sand or part of the thing?

It's apart I'd it , I'm not sure if there are holes in it anywhere , I'll check again tomorrow , but it looked like there were tiny holes ... Update soon

Got a better pic, can see the holes in the front of it , so I'm leaning more to sponge

Attachments

• image-3708337779.jpg
    image-3708337779.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 62
Most likely a sponge then, and a rather pretty one at that. If you're still unsure you can always poke it and if it feels, well, spongey, that should confirm that answer.

Just want to say that I went to one of my LFS's today and they had two identical looking things labeled as Red Ball Sponges. They had that red coloration with the white sand-like pattern on top and the typical sponge filter-feeding holes.

Petrichor said:
Just want to say that I went to one of my LFS's today and they had two identical looking things labeled as Red Ball Sponges. They had that red coloration with the white sand-like pattern on top and the typical sponge filter-feeding holes.

Cool thanks for the confirmation and name :)

Back
Top Bottom