Spotted blue-eye | Pseudomugil Gertrudae log/pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Continuation from http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=49154&highlight= with log and pics for J, An t-iasg, and whomever else is interested. Profile of P. Gertrudae: http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Gertrud.htm Figured too much info is better than too little for archive, but if this post is too long tell me :) Bought these from Rarefish (Tanner) of aquabid -- met his breeder/source (nice guy) and saw my first fish room. Pretty cool. His P. Furcatus looked good.

Picked 9 at around 10am today -- breeder threw in extra but said at this size (<1") only definite sexing are *some* females (he pointed one out to me). He also said males' fins would grow out with time. Acclimated them over 2 1/2 hours with slow water transfer method: breeder probably has same tap, but CO2 injection makes my tank ~1pH lower than tap (to 7.0). Probably should have qt'd but didn't.
gertrudae_acclimation.jpg

gertrudae_acclimation2.jpg

Color is dull but figured they were stressed.

Dropped one way current in river tank from ~240gph to ~140gph to ease transition. I hope to increase current after a week, but can drop it or figure out something else if necessary -- these fish are said to come from Giddy River and streams, as well as billabongs, so figure its best to experiment. Left tank lights off, released fish into tank, and observed untill going back to work: they *seem* to dig current and handle it well, since they checked out the tank, spent time near sump return, and didn't seek refuge behind dense plants, which helps break up current. Hard to tell if they colored up.

After coming back I turned lights on and they darted, but seemed alright. Fed frozen bloodworms. Color looks better, especially the blue eyes and yellow pectoral fins (they look like ears :D ). (Poor) Pics from tonight:
gertrudae1.jpg

gertrudae2.jpg

gertrudae3.jpg

gertrudae4.jpg

Pic of their home. Please excuse the algae issues at the moment :)
tank%2004%2019.jpg

I'm thinking of renting a macro to take better pics of them and other critters, but as you can see I suck with cameras. Will log results of current experiments and such if anyone is still interested.

The tank is beautiful! The fish will color up -- all fish look pale in bags, I think. Are you still getting the P. furcatus too? I'm interested in how much current they (the gertrudes) would like. My bettas hate current, so I'm not experienced with faster-current fish.

They look pretty good today and I can clearly tell some males with rounded, extended fins. I hope when they mature they show the great finnage shown in some profiles.

An t-iasg, I think I'm passing on Furcatus for a while. I like gertrudae (as you may remember I prefered furcatus) and their size makes them the best choice I think. One day, with a 20 long or wider, maybe :) Breeder says gertrudae do fine in sponge filter set-ups btw, but they also have short lives (usually well under 3 years. I saw one site that said they're best thought of as annuals :/ )... in this case it's more me looking for fish that naturally come from high current enviornments for my nano river tank, in hopes that maybe its a better envionment. Info on gertrudae as pets on the internet is slim, with most of the info I found related to mop-breeding techniques.

Thanks, mattrox. Used the site as a reference already actually, and it was the site that introduced me to blue-eyed rainbowfish (great site). I didn't find much other info from other forums or here or google -- posted a question about their suitability for my nano tank with no advice, so figured this thread could be in the archive incase someone else comes along and does research, or maybe to induce someone experienced with blue-eyed rainbowfish to post with advice.

Maybe this is a case where people who keep this fish are much more experienced than I, and don't need advice :D

I have a pair of these fish and they are wonderful. I'd like to get more. Congrats on your new fish. :D

czcz said:
Maybe this is a case where people who keep this fish are much more experienced than I, and don't need advice.

I doubt that very highly...it could be that not enough folks keep them. You're doing an excellent service in that regard.

I appreciate the fact that you are keeping the updates coming.

Lastly...beautiful fish...they look perfect in the tank. :D

i looked at the site, and all the fish are very beautiful, and then i remembered i had seen them in my creek!
when i get a qt, im gonna go fishing and catch me some natives: rainbowfish, and gudgeons etc

Thats awesome, Blucat. Is it a fast creek? How deep is their area? Is it too much trouble to test the water's pH? What part of Aus are you in? Is it one of these:
northern Cape York, the Murray Swamps (QLD.), Finniss River system (near Darwin), Melville Island, and eastern Arnhem Land, NT.
- from http://users.kent.net/~lisab/Pgertrudae.html

Thanks.

im in west brisbane in south east queensland. our creeks and streama are part of the murray darling river system. my local creek is moggil creek and it has various rainbowfishes and gudgeons, includinig empire gudgeons. there is also a creek in a northern suburb which has the largets population of rainbowfish in brisbane. i might visit there, even if it is slightly far away. i will definitly catch some in my local creek.

the ph is 7 to slightly alkaline in other areas, some parts are fast flowing, some parts are are stagnant.

Feeding success list:
Frozen bloodworms (before acclimation)
Zucchini
Cucumber
Hikari bottom feeder wafers (they nibbled)

Failure:
Omega1 flake (picked at it for only a short time. Removed and dropped vege after ~10minutes. Might try again later.)
Wardley Tubifex (checked it out, then ignored)

-- If you have feeding suggestions for small fish, TIA. Don't want to try brine shrimp as I have shrimp in the tank. :) --

Watched 2 Amano shrimp defend a wafer from a group of Gertrudae. It was cool.

I'm going to stall on increasing current for a while longer, as things are good right now. They spend a lot of time near water surface when shoaling (most open area of the tank), but go all over tank when in pairs or alone, including many seemingly doing their own thing at the same time. There is some chasing between males with longer, rounder fins near the rock cave & lilies on the right side of the tank. They'll look right at you, and its only then their head shape ( almost \ /, but rounder) is clear. Blue eyes are striking. Only a short time but I like these fish :)

I was just at the hatchery on Friday. No gertrudes :( :( I'll have to wait. The owner said that the gertrudes really seem to thrive in the alkaline water. My tap pH is 7.8 after aging. I mix with RO water for my bettas but he said to just use the 7.8 (after acclimation, of course) for the gertrudes when I get them. What is your pH, czcz? Thanks for feeding success list too!

7.0 after CO2. Interesting; thanks for pH info. Breeder here raises at tap too, which is 8.0 +/ .2. Maybe I should mimic breeder's alkaline water with CC -- I have stable pH despite diy co2 after lots of experimentation and might be able to get stable, higher pH with high CO2. Might be best to keep it simple as profiles say neutral pH is in acceptable range, and stable > perfect, etc. Just thinking by typing. Will try to learn more about this.

Don't know if its new lights (went from screw-in CFL+painted white hood to 2x13W AHSupply Bright kit+reflector), but theyre showing an attractive green sheen to their body. It is most intense as a stripe. Tried to take pics -- still fighting algae, please excuse :D
gertrudaefront.jpg

gertrudae0501-1.jpg

gertrudaex0501-2.jpg

And poor comparison pics of males and female
gertrudaemales&female.jpg

gertrudaemale0501.jpg

And helping with that algae problem, along with red nosed shrimp
gertrudae0501-picksatalgae.jpg

Have not messed with pH btw.

czcz - stop what you are doing right now. This is unconscionable and you obviously haven't a clue about this subject.

Only kidding czcz. But you are making me jealous (or green with envy - no pun intended) each time I see your tank.

Not to mention that the addition of your "specially selected" fish look absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure they are enjoying their new home.

Keep up the excellent work.

Back
Top Bottom