Spotted Bristle Nose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night he was enjoying some zucchini and didn't notice me as I took as many pics of him as I could. Here are the three best ones for your enjoyment :D

Great photos! Thanks for posting! I have his brother or sister or cousin in my tank...

Wow. I love it. Is this what's considered a "starry night" ancistrus, do you know?

Plecos don't have armored stomachs (I've dissected them for an ichthyologist--their stomachs are practically the only part of them that isn't covered in Kevlar-like material), so their coloration and markings usually come out better there--are more matte, undistrurbed by the armor plates. However, on most plecs, the stomach area isn't colored. You're really lucky to have a specimen that has markings, let alone such nice even spots, on its stomach!!

I've just transferred the 2 albino ancistrus I got from Brian to my main planted tank, and they look fantastic there. They've grown about 5 mm, prob (not much). They're the only plecs in the tank that actually do the job I hired them for--cleaning up the algae! Those Queen Arabesques and King Tigers are lazy bums!

Is this what's considered a "starry night" ancistrus, do you know?
I have no idea :oops:
how do you feed them zucchini?
I peel the zucchini and then slice it length wise. I have been using my Magfeeders and I love them. They make feeding zucchini so much easier and even my common pleco can't knock it off the glass!

madasafish said:
Wow. I love it. Is this what's considered a "starry night" ancistrus, do you know? !

These guys were not marked. Menagerie mentioned way back that her favorite store had bushynose plecs in...

I went and got one.. I think they are ther starry night pleco.. It looks like /i might have a female... :)

Thanks menagerie for pointing this guy out this fishy.. It got me started on plecos again.. I have a clown and the 2 albino bushynose.... :)

On close inspection my bristlenose looks rather spotty, but not in that way. More like a gold nugget pattern and colour, only not so bright. ?Rather a faded gold nugget cross with bristlenose! :D

Well, I hope my pleco is female. I was told that only males had branching. But if females have less bristles, I will be so happy. I'm not a big fan of lots of bristles~this pleco was bought by the insistence of my husband.

Not including tail, three inches. This pleco should reach 4-5", but keep in mind plecos are slow growing.

I've got 3 and only one has bristles, so I'm assuming the other two are females. They are very slow growing, for sure. To me, though, the more bristles the better - I think those tentacles my boy has are radical as heck! I like having a weird-looking fish lurking in the shadows of my otherwise typical community tank :D

Great pic, Menagerie- he was really showing off for you :)

Nice looking fish! I feed my bristlenose zuchinni also. I usually peel the zuchinni in sort of a candy-cane pattern so that there is still some skin on it to keep it together, but so it's not solid skin and too tough. I blanch my zuchinni in the microwave and let it cool and it sinks like a rock. That magfeeder looks cool though!

Back
Top Bottom