Stalled Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just frustrating because there has been zero change at all over the last week.

How often should I dose the ammonia? I've been doing it to about 1ppm once a week.

It's just frustrating because there has been zero change at all over the last week.
From my understanding nitrate is the end of the nitrogen cycle. It is removed by water changes.

Some things that I found from the guide that you could do to speed up the process:
Use an object from an established tank
Turn up the heat on your heater
Have the water moving around ex. Having the water level lower so the eater drops from your hang on filter or a bubble stone.

1 ppm of ammonia a week may not be enough.

Ok. I have the tank at a steady 82 degrees. I'll remove some water. Previously I was dosing it to 4ppm and I was doing it too often. My nitrites started climbing super high and they've been sky high since and I've not been able to get them to a readable level. So I just decided to be patient. Should I dose the 1ppm more often or up to 4ppm weekly?

Ok. I have the tank at a steady 82 degrees. I'll remove some water. Previously I was dosing it to 4ppm and I was doing it too often. My nitrites started climbing super high and they've been sky high since and I've not been able to get them to a readable level. So I just decided to be patient. Should I dose the 1ppm more often or up to 4ppm weekly?
Ah i see. Try dosing it at least 1ppm more than weekly. Im pretty sure your goal is to mimic actual fish in your tank, so just imagine the amount of ammonia the fish you want to put in would make.

You can obtain seasoned media from another aquarist, and LFS, or online (checkout Angels Plus). I cycled a 20g shrimp tank in a short period of time using seasoned media. Total time was 15 days: 9 days of running a new filter in an existing tank with some media from the existing filter + 6 days of a fishless cycle.

All we have around here is Petsmart and Petco. Do they give you seasoned media? I'll look online. Meanwhile I've done what Mark_the_shark said and I'm just trying to be patient

Sometimes they will give you a piece of media if your buying something. Although id get it from a lfs as opposed to a chain store.

All we have around here is Petsmart and Petco. Do they give you seasoned media? I'll look online. Meanwhile I've done what Mark_the_shark said and I'm just trying to be patient
You got this! Go surfing or play some basketball or something.

Seasoned media is a great idea and if you can get the nitrites down to a testable level I'd change the water as frequently as needed to keep it there! My cycle stalled out when the nitrites went off the chart, too. Five straight days of 50-75% water changes got them down to levels I could test and I started seeing nitrates almost immediately for the first time. This was also probably the result of keeping the ammonia at 4 ppm :facepalm: I started aiming for 2 ppm doses of the ammonia and would change water as needed so all parameters were testable.

As an aside, I know the chain stores get a bad rap, but the Petco in my area is the second best store within reasonable driving distance. They've got a couple employees running the fish area that know their stuff and the tanks always look good; very little algae, no dead/dying fish. The wife and I usually patronize the good LFS, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick something up from the Petco if they stocked the silly tiny fish species I like to put in my 40g!

I am on spring break vacation with my children and will be home Thursday. My stepson (adult) is house/dog sitting for us and dosing my tank for me. I'll test it when I get back to see how it's going.

I am on spring break vacation with my children and will be home Thursday. My stepson (adult) is house/dog sitting for us and dosing my tank for me. I'll test it when I get back to see how it's going.
Nice nice. Have fun on your spring break! Do a lot of sight seeing!

Well...Mark the shark apparently you give good advice lol. (Meaning go keep myself busy and let nature take its course) I came home from vacation to 0 nitrites. However I have a surprisingly low nitrAte number so I know for a fact I'm not getting an accurate number. I guess I've not shook bottle #2 well enough so many times that even when I do it must no longer be the right mix. Guess I need a new test kit.

Well...Mark the shark apparently you give good advice lol. (Meaning go keep myself busy and let nature take its course) I came home from vacation to 0 nitrites. However I have a surprisingly low nitrAte number so I know for a fact I'm not getting an accurate number. I guess I've not shook bottle #2 well enough so many times that even when I do it must no longer be the right mix. Guess I need a new test kit.
Haha I was just speaking from experience because I was going through a similar phase. My fish seem happy in their new home now. Yeah your nitrates should be high since its end of the "cycle", but thats fixable with water changes. Glad to hear your nitrites dropped.

Any advice on how much to dose for this last dose to see if it processes?
I think youre supposed to does 2ppm to 5ppm depending on how much fish you plan to put in at once. So maybe around 2ppm. Try putting in like 1-2 fish at a time.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice! One last dose to check and a massive water change in my very near future and then I have to figure out what the heck to put in this thing! View attachment 1IMG_8854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom