Stalled Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well....looks like I was just close. I dosed the tank to about 3ppm ammonia yesterday and today, almost 24hr later, I'm at about 0.25ppm ammonia and 5+ppm nitrites lol. More patience.....[emoji849]

Well....looks like I was just close. I dosed the tank to about 3ppm ammonia yesterday and today, almost 24hr later, I'm at about 0.25ppm ammonia and 5+ppm nitrites lol. More patience.....[emoji849]
Itll be better in the long run, and youll save money. Almost there!

If I'm cycling a full 3-4ppm of ammonia in my 65gal tank in approximately 30-32 hours, would you call that sufficiently cycled for a small fish load of say 5-6 small fish like platys? I'm asking because I have my kids this weekend and I thought it would be fun to get fish since they've been patiently waiting like I have lol.

As long as you watch the water quality carefully, do water changes when ammonia and nitrites >0 and dose with prime when any ammonia and nitrites are present platys are very hardy and you could do that. Just remember they will add a constant supply of ammonia while the cycle finishes.

I imagine at the rate I'm going it may be fully cycled by the weekend. ?? I bought Prime and used it at my last water change. I'll change the water Friday and get the temp right etc to get ready. Finally...... lol

If I'm cycling a full 3-4ppm of ammonia in my 65gal tank in approximately 30-32 hours, would you call that sufficiently cycled for a small fish load of say 5-6 small fish like platys? I'm asking because I have my kids this weekend and I thought it would be fun to get fish since they've been patiently waiting like I have lol.
30-32 is still a manageable time frame. Just monitor your water levels and fish. What type of platies are you planning?

My kids of course love the Mickey Mouse platys. Platys are the first fish they go to I guess because they are colorful. Plus I know they are hearty. I like the Dalmatian Mollies. I'm probably going to get a sucker fish too. The next wave of fish I'd like to get about 5 of the corys. I'm planning to add fish about 5 or 6 at a time getting water regulated in between additions. It'll probably take me a month or three to stock lol. I'm in no rush. I'm not even sure how many fish I can have and I need to learn more about chemicals and maintenance.

Check out aqadvisor. com nice website for reference on stocking and compatibility, as although not perfect or replacement for research.

My family also loves platys and livebearers, enjoy watching and growing fry.

Yes and while not everyone has luck breeding them my son raised 3 peppered Corys from fry that I now have in my 75.

I think I'll end up with corydoras, a couple platys, kuhli loach, danios, a couple tiger barbs unless they are too aggressive, and I need a sucker fish but that aqadvisor.com site said they need driftwood and I don't have any. I have artificial decorations.

I think I'll end up with corydoras, a couple platys, kuhli loach, danios, a couple tiger barbs unless they are too aggressive, and I need a sucker fish but that aqadvisor.com site said they need driftwood and I don't have any. I have artificial decorations.
The tiger barbs may not get along. Everything else seems compatible

The tiger barbs may not get along. Everything else seems compatible

Think I could get away with an angelfish instead? I really want one but was afraid it wouldn't be compatible with anything so I've been trying to find other stuff I like.

Back
Top Bottom