Stalled Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think I could get away with an angelfish instead? I really want one but was afraid it wouldn't be compatible with anything so I've been trying to find other stuff I like.
Not too sure about angelfish. I know they need a pretty big tank. If you're looking for something similar in appearance maybe try a gourami. Have you seen those?

Your tank is 65 gal you could do angels or gourami, but research both can be aggressive. I have honey gourami, they are peaceful.

Your tank is 65 gal you could do angels or gourami, but research both can be aggressive. I have honey gourami, they are peaceful.

Where do you guys get your fish? We have chain stores here. There is one LFS but it mostly has saltwater and very few freshwater. My selection is sorta limited to what is at Petsmart and Petco.

Oh yeah! I forgot about those!
The kissing ones are aggressive. The dwarf one may be more docile. Angelfish could probably fit in your tank but itll limit how much other fish you can put in. Its not a bad thing just something to consider

While the shipping can be a deterrent, there are a lot of good online stores with quality fish. Aquatic Arts, LiveAquaria, and Invertebrates by Msjinkzd are the ones I usually look at. Aquatic Arts will even waive shipping if you order enough in one shot!

While the shipping can be a deterrent, there are a lot of good online stores with quality fish. Aquatic Arts, LiveAquaria, and Invertebrates by Msjinkzd are the ones I usually look at. Aquatic Arts will even waive shipping if you order enough in one shot!

Awesome! Thank you. I'll check them out

Finally bought a few fish!
3 black skirt tetras
3 red minor tetras
3 panda corys
1 ivory mystery snail (for my daughter)

I plan to get a few more corys next and we are deciding on what else we want.

Do you know approximately how many hours of light they should get? I know I'm not supposed to keep the light on all the time

The corys keep swimming all over and one keeps playing in the bubbles lol. The black skirts are really active and pretty cool. They were playing too. The red minor tetras are all hanging together in my one big bushy plant. And the snail is chowing on algae on the rock. My 10 year old daughter is mesmerized lol.

Do you know approximately how many hours of light they should get? I know I'm not supposed to keep the light on all the time
Your plants are artificial right? Just keep it on like 6 hours. Good choice with the corys!

Good to hear, in the future you may want to consider live plants.
They can be very beneficial to a healthy aquarium, I'm currently as highly stocked as I have ever been and I'm dosing pps-pro fertilizer, but my water is still less than 20 nitrates even if I don't get my water changed every week (but I still do).

The snail died and 1 Cory died and I can't find a second Cory. Other than that everyone seems happy. I think my pH was an issue for the snail. Not sure what happened with the corys. I have a feeling one died and might have gotten eaten or I just didn't find him yet.

I tested water. pH is 6.6, ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0.25ppm, and nitrates 0ppm. I was going to dose with some Prime but I may have just tested in transition with the nitrites. I put 1cup crushed coral/aragonite in a bag in my filter yesterday. I wasn't sure how much to do.

I'm planning on getting live plants I hope just as soon as I get fish in and comfortable.

What does your water check, after every death I always test water, do a water change and try to determine the cause.
Sorry to hear about your loss.

pH 6.6
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0.25ppm
Nitrates 5pm

I did a 25% water change and dosed with Prime. I was trying to let it sit for an hour or so before I test again.

Will I always worry over this tank for fear I'm doing things wrong and maintain it so much like this or will there be a time I can relax and just enjoy it? lol [emoji23]

Takes a while to stabilize, you'll get there. Just watch your new fish carefully and make sure the nitrites go away. I was lucky I guess after my tanks cycled they seem bullet proof have never had ammonia or nitrites since,... That I know of.

Not sure why the nitrites are showing up. They were all cycling as required. I just retested. Nitrites are a color that looks between 0 and 0.25. Nitrates 5ppm again.

Back
Top Bottom