Stand to small for aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey so I just bought a used 32G and the stand is a little small in width. The tank sticks out about an inch on the front and the back. Should I be worried? Also the silicon seems a little old and I see small holes on one side but no leaks. Can I just add some more silicon just on the posture of the tank? It is currently full. Thanks

I don't think you can add silicone on existing silicone since it won't stick. Pictures might be a helpful addition p this thread though.

You can top the stand with a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the tank, but the entire bottom should be supported IMO. Also, it sounds like the stand is built for a smaller tank, so you may want to look into befing it up.

Yep, silicone doesn't patch like that, if it's bad the seam needs to be completely resealed.

Aqua2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Aqua1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Her are some photos of the patches and how the tank sticks out. It's already filled though. If i have to reseal it and add plywood under it'll be a pain. Also the stand was used with this tank for the previous owner. Can i just reseal the patches with silicon without removing the old one? it'll seal up the patches no?

You can top the stand with a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the tank, but the entire bottom should be supported IMO. Also, it sounds like the stand is built for a smaller tank, so you may want to look into befing it up.

I agree but instead of plywood I've used sections of kitchen/bath counter tops for a little more decreative look, plus they can purchased for little money if they're excess scrap from the store/supplier.

Tank is currently full and i have a pleco and 4 red skirt tetras in a bucket. It'll be a pain if i have to empty the tank. Also can i just apply silicon over the patches? I'm only 15 so i don't think i can remove the silicon without ruining the tank somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would certainly reinforce the stand and reseal the aquarium from those pictures. It's not tough and it will give you something to do while your on summer vaction and a feeling of accomplishment when your done.

Darn. i can't just put aquarium sealant between the old silicon so it'll stick to the glass? i can't really do much now and what am i supposed to do with the pleco and 4 tetras? my other tank is to small. I'm really bummed out right now. Is their nothing else i can do? i will certainly add a peice of wood under the tank but i don't know about resealing... :'(

the problem is really only on the outside. The silicon on the inside is really thick and in good condition. Since i have to put a peice of wood under the tank can i just empty out the tank and gently scrape the silicon on the outside and reapply? Im stressing out right now.

Get yourself a storage tote 20-30 gal put the fish in there they will be fine while you repair the tank. use the old water to fill the tote use the same filter, heater no cycle that way Better now than have to replace a tank that failed It's no fun having to replace tank heater filter fish Carpet, flooring that has warped and countless other things that get ruined when (not if) your tank lets go!

Argh! But since the sealing inside the tank is thick wouldn't it be ok?

Sorry for being so stubborn but I really want to try avoiding tearing it down. My parents already didn't want the tank and I don't think them hearing I have to possibly tear it down won't make them to happy! Is their anything else I can apply in case it leaks? What's the worst that can happen? A leak tht has sprung or 32G of water all over the place?

My parents already didn't want the tank
What's the worst that can happen? A leak tht has sprung or 32G of water all over the place?

Well if they didn't want it in the first place just wait to see their reaction if 32g of water hits the carpet/floor.

My 20g leaked on the weekend we were'nt home took out my ps3 a blueray DVD the filter the heater the carpet was $900 to replace i was in over $1800 (hard wood under carpet) before it was done. i could have saved it for $8.95 and a few hr's work :( Tell mom/Dad that Gangbangers dont have fish tanks lol

My dad says to put a sort of pastic cover that'll cover the corner and silicon it to all 4 corners. I'll show a pic once I get it. I'll put a layer of silicon all over the surface and stick it to each corner. If not I guess I'll have to reseal it completely :(

I did once didnt like the look of it i used the corner protectors for sheet rock the clear ones YMMV good luck let us know what you do

Would the corner protectors work though? And i'd still need 100% silicon right?

Back
Top Bottom