Starfish hitchhiker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
An anybody tell me what type of starfish this is?
I just found it on my glass of my cycling 75 gallon tank and I'm wondering if I should put it in my already established 20 gallon?

Asterina starfish. Harmless but they multiply pretty quick.

+1 although they seem to only be a problem for a few tanks, mine never really get out of control. Just watch for them if ya have any zoa problems.

Ohh I don't have zoas in my 20 might get some later, but will definitely get some in my 75, how can I get rid of the stars?

A herqulim shrimp eats starfish. I miss spelled it but just look it up

Well my tank is still cycling and it hasn't peaked yet so won't the starfish die off when all the parameters peak?

you dont need a Harlequin shrimp until the starfish population explodes which is rather quickly. In your case it would most likely die off cause your tank is cycling just like u said

Some may live. You never need a harlequin. The stars almost never eat coral. They are usually very very peaceful.

I have these starfish as well. I have 2-3 in my Bio 14. They've been there forever. I never experienced a population explosion. I also have a thriving colony of Zoa's. Admittedly, I've never heard of them bothering these corals

Back
Top Bottom