start of new 190ltr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the poor quality pics but here is the sump tanks sitting in there spot as you can see i did end up removing the center piece out of the cabinet to get them to fit

Attachments

• image-675907127.jpg
    image-675907127.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 317
  • image-277381459.jpg
    image-277381459.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 320
Oh ya, I'm definitely watchin this one! Everyone on here is so frickin inspiring!!

Baffles are in the sump next step is to pipe it up i havent figured out a good spot to put the heater yet i was thinking under the skimmer stand but im not sure it will work ok there ? The sump will hold a bit over 3gallons when the power is cut off i have two pumps pumping the water through it at the moment just to simulate how it will work and also to see how much evaporation i get will determin if i do an ato straight away if i only have to top it up once or twice a week i dont mind for now.

The skimmer is in the wrong spot in the first picture

Attachments

• image-2635615056.jpg
    image-2635615056.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 278
  • image-3655098676.jpg
    image-3655098676.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 280
well sump is in and piped up as usual i changed my mind last minute :rolleyes: i have decided to use the taller tank as the fuge now as i can have a good dsb and then i can use the other side for the heaters and skimmer i just need to lift the skimmer up a bit i decide to go the two overflows as i went with this setup DIY OverFlow Pipe - UltimateReef.com rather than overflow boxes

it was cheaper so thought why not i will have to get a bigger pump though as i have had to cut the return flow back slightly as it was draining to quick as you can see from the marks i have put on there it pretty much maxes out the sump when power off but no overflows restarts perfect everytime to no matter how long i leave it off. I havent properly piped the return up yet i ran out of pipe.

pretty happy with the setup so far just a few little things to fix here is some pics !

Attachments

• sump 1.jpg
    sump 1.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 265
  • sump 2.jpg
    sump 2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 265
  • sump 3.jpg
    sump 3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 235
  • sump 4.jpg
    sump 4.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 239
So awesome! I really can't wait to see it done :) really something to be proud of

i have just put some rock in not entirely happy with the way it looks as yet but i have to get some new live rock eventually so i will swap some pieces around

as all this rock is from an old tank it has been sitting away for a couple of years should i bleach it or something or will it be ok to just put through the cycle ??:confused:

Attachments

• DSCF0959.jpg
    DSCF0959.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 507
The cycle will take care of it if it hasnt already completely decomposed after sitting for years.

Where do you get that crating that the rocks are sitting on. Went to canadiantire and home hardware, there was none

Sqasnatch said:
Where do you get that crating that the rocks are sitting on. Went to canadiantire and home hardware, there was none

Luckily i am a refrigeration mechanic and the eggcrate is used for air conditioning so i had some at work so you could try a local air conditioning business

thought i should do a small update made a small pre filter today will see how it goes hopefully good. pipe goes down through the lid and finishes about an inch above the water line then goes through the media and out the bottom through holes to clean out it's just a matter of un clipping the lid and sliding the container out. I also drilled 4 smaller holes in the lid to let it breath

also found a good spot for the heaters to go so they're out of the way i notched out the eggcrate and made a second shelf under the top one for the bottom of the heaters to rest on so they dont sit on the glass. have placed two 3000lph powerheads one at each end and also plumbed in half of the return line i put a t just before it enters the tank and put two elbows facing slightly up for better flow and to keep it symetrical
2thumbsup.gif

and also have new return pump and ro/di unit on the way hopefully not long now until i can fill her up
grin.gif

pics sorry only iphone photos haven't got a decent camera at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 344