starter kit from you guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twism10000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank and I would like to make it into a planted aquarium. My 10 gallon tank has just the basics (flourescent bulb-15 watts, Whisper Filter and a heater). I want to have lots of low light plants and maybe some medium light plants. My question is what do I need?

Thanks in advance

First, let's start with your expectations of your planted tank. What type of plants do you want to keep? What kind of light range are you wanting (low, medium, high)? Are you wanting/willing to inject CO2?

I want low to medium plants. Do I need CO2 injection if I want to have lots of plants in my 10 gallon aquarium? What type of lighting will I need? Thanks

I want low to medium plants. Do I need CO2 injection if I want to have lots of plants in my 10 gallon aquarium? What type of lighting will I need? Thanks

I wouldn't suggest CO2 injection if its only a 10g tank. You can probably get by with dosing Flourish Excel for your CO2 supplement. You can get by with 15 watts, but you may want to look into a compact fluorescent light fixture.

Have you read the "references" sticky at the top of this forum?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/read-this-first-resources-and-references-83826.html

Browse through the links there and this will give you a broad overview of some planted tank topics. Also be sure to read the articles (linked in the second post in the above thread). Hopefully this information will give you a better idea of what you want to do with your planted tank, and then you can post back with more specific questions.

Your current setup will grow low light plants. To grow medium light plants you'd want to upgrade your lighting to about 30-40watts. If you stick to medium light or less, you won't have to deal with CO2 if you don't want to. You'll definately need a good Trace Fert and Potassium. Depending on how heavily you plant you may find that you need to dose Nitrate and Phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom