Starter Media for new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I have reason to believe that "Santa" is bringing me a brand new 55gallon for Christmas this year. My question is: How do I take media from my established 5gal and use it to cycle the new tank?

Right now I just have a spare filter cartridge floating around in the 5 gal. Is this going to hurt my fish? Is this the proper way to go about doing it?

Thanks!

Ok, so if it's a HOB here is how I have had success- I place the old media sponge (since it's smaller) in the bio filter holder in between the 2. If it doesn't fit I place it between the bio filter and the carbon filter.

I have heard of other people burying it in their substrate and using a nylon stocking to hang it out front of the filter flow. As for leaving it just floating there keep an eye on your fish, if they are stressing out you could always try pinning it to the bottom on your substrate or hiding it in a place where your don't normally go.

Hope this helped a little!! :)

It depends how you plan on cycling the 55g (fishless or fishin) and what your plans are for the 5g. You dont want to remove the media if fish are still going to be living in it because it will be back to square one (uncycled tank with fish). What are your plans?

Seeding a New Tank

So, I have reason to believe that "Santa" is bringing me a brand new 55gallon for Christmas this year. My question is: How do I take media from my established 5gal and use it to cycle the new tank?

Right now I just have a spare filter cartridge floating around in the 5 gal. Is this going to hurt my fish? Is this the proper way to go about doing it?

Thanks!

Hello Loch...

The media from your 5 gallon isn't going to go very far in cycling such a large tank. I think it would be best not remove anything from your 5 G. Just me though.

If you know of someone with a larger tank, ask if you can have some of the used media. If not, I'd suggest the standard "fish-in" cycle. If done correctly, with the right fish, your new tank will cycle in about 6 weeks.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Back
Top Bottom