Starting 75gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also need to touch up a few places that got nicked on the way in. And the gap between the 2 pieces to make it look like one big piece.

I told you it was easy and you could do it. Looks great job well done

Make sure you go around all the outside edges you don't want stuff to get behind it.

Also cover the glass with something when filling it up for a couple days. Just incase it does break lose, you don't want the tank all scratched up

I told you it was easy and you could do it. Looks great job well done

Make sure you go around all the outside edges you don't want stuff to get behind it.

Also cover the glass with something when filling it up for a couple days. Just incase it does break lose, you don't want the tank all scratched up

I tried to go in and seal the edges but the caulking gun didn't fit in to seal it up correctly. Any suggestions on how to make it work? What would the consequences be if water did get behind the styrofoam? I did use what I thought was a ton of silicone. But who knows.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

nice rock wall i almost used that method. i ended up using actual rock and did some caves for the fish to hide in. also hid all the filter plumbing in the wall as much as possible. check out "my cichild tanks" thread to see the pics of it.

nice rock wall i almost used that method. i ended up using actual rock and did some caves for the fish to hide in. also hid all the filter plumbing in the wall as much as possible. check out "my cichild tanks" thread to see the pics of it.

Thanks!! I checked out your thread. Looks really good. I have a local pond store close to here that I am going to use for my interior rocks for decorations and hiding spots.

Any advice on getting it sealed and what would happen if I don't?!?!?

While it may be tedious.. could you just do it by hand? Squirt a little on your finger and just go little by little. Keep your finger wet so it doesn't stick to you and/or rip the good stuff off.

While it may be tedious.. could you just do it by hand? Squirt a little on your finger and just go little by little. Keep your finger wet so it doesn't stick to you and/or rip the good stuff off.

I will have to give this a try. Might be a bit messy but oh well.

Does anyone know what would happen if water got behind my background?

I will have to give this a try. Might be a bit messy but oh well.

Does anyone know what would happen if water got behind my background?

You nitrates will go up. Try using a popsicle stick or something. I do get a little behind mine but I can blow it out with a power head.

Yes, basically it would be come your very own mini nitrate factory. Trapped food/waste would foul up your water. If, like Andrew said, you have decent flow it shouldn't be a problem.

I would still do my best to seal it up. I just remodeled our bathroom, I got plenty of caulking experience there. It can be tedious, just keep your finger wet and a wet towel handy.

Here are some pics of the seal job I did. Maybe you all can tell me if this is going to be a problem or not. I do realize there are 2 holes I need to fill but won't be hard to do. I started doing the finger trick and my finger won't fit in some places and I was making a mess on the glass. I can use a razor to get that off though. Pictures aren't the best but let me know what you think!!

image-2919776740.jpg

image-688621289.jpg

image-3402745213.jpg

image-194592826.jpg

image-798300382.jpg

image-91914727.jpg

image-2938460711.jpg

image-64239884.jpg

image-3803304093.jpg

Nice job! I think it will be A ok even if you get a little behind it won't hurt anything. Like I said I get some behind mine and I don't notice a difference. I just hope it stays put. My first time one part of it came up and then a couple days later the other one did. So then I had to fix some of the Crete and put it back in. Now I deal with a few scratches on the tank.

Nice job! I think it will be A ok even if you get a little behind it won't hurt anything. Like I said I get some behind mine and I don't notice a difference. I just hope it stays put. My first time one part of it came up and then a couple days later the other one did. So then I had to fix some of the Crete and put it back in. Now I deal with a few scratches on the tank.

Alright sweet. I'll go ahead and fill the holes and touch up the concrete where it got nicked then fill her up!!!

Tank is a as good as it will get I think. Just gonna let the touch up concrete and silicone dry a few days. I'll set up the tank. Cut my egg crate for the bottom and clean the sand. Any advice for these steps?

I am thinking of getting rocks from my dads farm. What do I need to do with these rocks to make them aquarium ready? Just boil them? I'm not sure if they will match my background though :/

I am thinking of getting rocks from my dads farm. What do I need to do with these rocks to make them aquarium ready? Just boil them? I'm not sure if they will match my background though :/

Dump boiling water on them, please don't boil rocks. Then scrub with a brush and repeat

Back
Top Bottom