Starting a Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have seen that with african cichlids the more the better and you want at least 1.5 to 2 inch fish per gallon that you help to spread out the aggression and beaches there's so many fishes it'll be impossible to set up territories rocks are good for refuge you can have mbunas and peacocks as long as your peacocks are slightly bigger

Number of fish does not prevent establishment of territories, what it does accomplish is distribution of the aggression that results from that establishment to a greater number of recipients, thereby reducing the impact of that aggression. Imagine if you will, the thousands of fish that inhabit any one of the rift lakes. If numbers of fish prevented establishment of territories, this fish would not establish territories in nature.

Again, mbuna and peacocks have different dietary needs, unless you can accommodate those dietary needs successfully, you are likely to end up with issues like Malawi bloat or hole-in-the-head disease. I don't recommend that practice for people who don't have experience with keeping cichlids.

While keeping sand clean in the aquarium may be easier than keeping gravel clean, cleaning it out of an aquarium when you wish to change substrates is not.

Thats what I meant, the sand is going to suck when it comes time to move. I am however looking forward to not dealing with gravel and sypening up all the crud stuck in between it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yay! Found the other pleco! Now the real work begins since now its a no fish zone.

Ok one more question, can I leave some of this substrate in the tank. There is no way to get all of this gravel out...unless someone has a tip as to go about getting it completely out.

I think the dwarf mbuna link I gave has a flaw in that the species list doesn't go as far as compatibility of species within the list. I'm thinking this list was intended for a single species only tank but I could be wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eh, either way ill figure it out. Right now im just concerned about setting up my tank and cycling it again. Just did a 90% water change, rinsed out the filters (yes in tank water) and now im just going to let it run. There is still substrate on the bottom but im having a seriously hard time getting it out.

3abe2yjy.jpg
looks lovely huh... *rolls eyes*

take your filters, drain tank water into a five gallon bucket, run filters in bucket. Drain the tank, clean out the last of the substrate, add sand and refill. Wait for said sand to resettle, then transfer filter back to tank.

Thank you but what about the remaining substrate I cant get out. Can I just leave it in there?

Thank you but what about the remaining substrate I cant get out. Can I just leave it in there?

Once the tank is drained, you should be able to wipe any remaining substrate with a paper towel.

I don't have a vacuum and my sypen is kinda weak

No I have a type of gravel that was more of a beneficial plant substrate.

Ok, picking up the sand now. Yay something exciting for a change. Lol

Looks like your tank may actually be a 60 gallon, just from the photo. Basically the same as a 55, just a tad taller. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Looks like your tank may actually be a 60 gallon, just from the photo. Basically the same as a 55, just a tad taller. :)

Hey severum mama. Dixiegirl did actually mention here tank was a 60g, mix up, it was me who referenced the 55g. I was trying to help her with a list that someone sent me!!!

Hey severum mama. Dixiegirl did actually mention here tank was a 60g, mix up, it was me who referenced the 55g. I was trying to help her with a list that someone sent me!!!

Oh, sorry about that guys! This is what I get for skimming rather than paying more attention! Lol

Lol we all do it. Ok y'all, draining the tank now!

A great tool to have around is a turkey baster. Will work great in this situation and also when you add the sand. Makes removing the poop a bit easier too, if you don't mind a wet elbow...lol

Back
Top Bottom