Starting a new 29G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moomawkm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using a piece of filter media from an other tank, so cycling should be rather short...

I have a bio-wheel and using a double filter carbon/coral media. Sand substrate (could be changed to something else if needed). Was considering a planted tank, but I've never had a planted tank before and I'm not sure if I'm up for starting one. I do have a heater and can set it from 65F to 90F. I do have a full-spectrum compact fluorescent light that can also be changed to suit other needs.

Was wondering what my stock should consist of. I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.

Any ideas on stock and adjustments to the tank (lighting/substrate/etc...)?

moomawkm said:
I'm using a piece of filter media from an other tank, so cycling should be rather short...

I have a bio-wheel and using a double filter carbon/coral media. Sand substrate (could be changed to something else if needed). Was considering a planted tank, but I've never had a planted tank before and I'm not sure if I'm up for starting one. I do have a heater and can set it from 65F to 90F. I do have a full-spectrum compact fluorescent light that can also be changed to suit other needs.

Was wondering what my stock should consist of. I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.

Any ideas on stock and adjustments to the tank (lighting/substrate/etc...)?

Also if you crank your heater up to around 86 degrees I think, that will help your BB ( beneficial bacteria) grow like crazy and also help speed things along even more.

Also if you crank your heater up to around 86 degrees I think, that will help your BB ( beneficial bacteria) grow like crazy and also help speed things along even more.

Yup. 84-86 degrees F makes the bacteria colonize faster.

I've got bettas, tetras, barbs, and plecos in other tanks so I'd like to steer away from more of those if possible.

What type of tetras did you have? There are many types of them out there, and even if you have kept a few types there are many awesome kinds to still keep :).

Yup. 84-86 degrees F makes the bacteria colonize faster.

What type of tetras did you have? There are many types of them out there, and even if you have kept a few types there are many awesome kinds to still keep :).

I've got silver tips and bloodfins at the moment. Not a big fan of the neons.

I've got silver tips and bloodfins at the moment. Not a big fan of the neons.

Rummynose tetras are a favorite. Diamond tetras, black skirt tetras, white skirt tetras, penguin tetras, emperor tetras, glowlight tetras, serpae tetras, black phantom tetras, head-and-tail-light tetras, pristella tetras, red eye tetras and von rio flame tetras are some others I can name off the top of my head.

As for non-tetra schoolers, Danios such as Zebra Danios, GloFish (Just genetically modified Zebra Danios) and Orange-finned danios make very active additions to a tank. Cherry Barbs would also be an option.

In a 29g tank you can do other options. What about a pair of rams, either Bolivian or German Blue Ram, with some Threadfin rainbowfish or Spotted blue-eyes for upper level fish, and then perhaps 6 Panda cory cats. You might even be able to add a small school or rasboras or a single honey gourami in the mix depending on what you would decide on.

Many of these fish prefer and look better with a darker substrate, you could easily do black sand if you wanted. You could also do a very easy type of planted tank requiring minimal work by going with driftwood and possibly alittle rock and just getting some anubia, java fern, and java moss to tie onto the DW. The only thing I can't tell you about is your lighting. I am not familar with compact lighting, how bright it is, etc.

I noticed no one commented about the pleco... Is this a common pleco? If it is, it needs to be returned or re homed. A full grown pleco gets pretty big (about 20'' I believe, again * I THINK on the size*) and will need quite a larger tank so it's growth doesn't get stunted (I think a member said a full grown common needs 300 gallons?).

I noticed no one commented about the pleco... Is this a common pleco? If it is, it needs to be returned or re homed. A full grown pleco gets pretty big (about 20'' I believe, again * I THINK on the size*) and will need quite a larger tank so it's growth doesn't get stunted (I think a member said a full grown common needs 300 gallons?).

Rubberlips...they only get about 4"...

Back
Top Bottom