Starting all over now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I retuned my guppies and am now treating my aquarium for stupid fungus I have Been thinking about what I'm going to restock it with (10g) I didn't really want a betta I guess bc everyone has them and they appear to be extremely simple. However I'm really growing fond of the little guys. I saw the most amazing betta... Petco must have thought so too bc he was like 15 bucks... So if I get a betta what other types of fish work best... And sorry but shrimp freak me out a little ;) i was thinking maybe some neons ...?

Since I retuned my guppies and am now treating my aquarium for stupid fungus I have Been thinking about what I'm going to restock it with (10g) I didn't really want a betta I guess bc everyone has them and they appear to be extremely simple. However I'm really growing fond of the little guys. I saw the most amazing betta... Petco must have thought so too bc he was like 15 bucks... So if I get a betta what other types of fish work best... And sorry but shrimp freak me out a little ;) i was thinking maybe some neons ...?

Bettas are great fish, I have mine with a shoal of Cardinal Tetras but they can be a gamble (had a couple die for no reason). I thought about neons but went with the Cards. Bettas are the only fish I'll buy from Petco and $15 is nothing, my LFS has some that go for $50 and they're not even the most expensive from comments I've heard. Oh and I have Ghost shrimp with Elvis too (our Betta) and they're great to watch too.

Mr. Limpet said:
Bettas are great fish, I have mine with a shoal of Cardinal Tetras but they can be a gamble (had a couple die for no reason). I thought about neons but went with the Cards. Bettas are the only fish I'll buy from Petco and $15 is nothing, my LFS has some that go for $50 and they're not even the most expensive from comments I've heard. Oh and I have Ghost shrimp with Elvis too (our Betta) and they're great to watch too.

Wow... I had no idea... This betta was beautiful with white and teal and purple. It was amazing ;) i thought bettas could be a little bit of a bully.. As pretty as he was though I would consider having him alone in there lol... I like those little robaros too or however u spell it...

I have kept an aggressive betta successfully with a school of neon tetra's as well as a shoal of cory catfish. Betta's are a fighter fish and will generally go after any fish that is colorful or has a long tail because they think it is another betta to fight! Fish that didn't work out with my aggressive betta were guppies, balloon mollie's, blue rams, gourami. Hope that helps!

I have kept an aggressive betta successfully with a school of neon tetra's as well as a shoal of cory catfish. Betta's are a fighter fish and will generally go after any fish that is colorful or has a long tail because they think it is another betta to fight! Fish that didn't work out with my aggressive betta were guppies, balloon mollie's, blue rams, gourami. Hope that helps!

That does help :) Thanks :)

Well... I'm about to stock a ten with a betta... So here's what I've got:

6 neons
3 ottos
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 male betta

30 gallon aquaclear filter, and all that. Hope that helps.

Homedog98 said:
Well... I'm about to stock a ten with a betta... So here's what I've got:

6 neons
3 ottos
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 male betta

30 gallon aquaclear filter, and all that. Hope that helps.

Ooooo that sounds good I like ADF and neons :) I just have a ten g filter though :(

The bigger the better filter wise. You can start with that, and upgrade filters in time I suppose, but the 30 gallons aren't that expensive.

The bigger the better filter wise. You can start with that, and upgrade filters in time I suppose, but the 30 gallons aren't that expensive.

The AC30 is a great choice for a 10g. Don't forget bettas need an area of calm on the waters surface so they can breathe. I'm a big advocate for plenty of filtration, but with an AC50 in a 10g and you better get him a surf board lol.

The AC30 is a great choice for a 10g. Don't forget bettas need an area of calm on the waters surface so they can breathe. I'm a big advocate for plenty of filtration, but with an AC50 in a 10g and you better get him a surf board lol.

Oh my AC50 is in a 29 gallon, was just suggesting she look at amazon for filters, if she wants to upgrade that is.

GoneFishing said:
don't want to push you into upgrading but I picked up a 50 gallon filter for $30 with free 2 day shipping (came next day).

Here is the link to the aquaclear filters.

Amazon.com: aquaclear

Wow that's not bad... I may can start upgrading after I get everything up and running... I probably need to add a free on my 55 as well

Homedog98 said:

Thanks for the advice homedog;) sounds like a good plan....

Mr. Limpet said:

Lol dude... That be awesome... A Betta on a surf board ;) maybe we could make a movie about him... Lol

GoneFishing said:
Oh my AC50 is in a 29 gallon, was just suggesting she look at amazon for filters, if she wants to upgrade that is.

That sounds like a good 2nd filter for my 55 ... I'll have to check amazon

Mr. Limpet said:
Gotcha. I thought you meant on a 10g lol. The AC50 is the perfect filter for a 29g, that's what my first one was on.

I'm doing the AC70 on my 29. I'm big on overfiltration.

Hmm, interesting. I heard there was a knob or something to help with the turbulence... Is that true?

Hmm, interesting. I heard there was a knob or something to help with the turbulence... Is that true?

Yes, the pickup tube can be slid to the side to reduce the flow into the filter which does work, but I prefer the full flow so I'm turning over as mush water as the filter is capable of. I just figure if the intent is to reduce the flow at the get go, why not just get a smaller one to fit in the first place.

Plus with 2 filters running I'm cycling twice as much water thru filter media which helps keep my water clearer and if I want to service one (clean out the tub/tube/etc), I can remove it and still have filtration running on my tank. The other bonus of 2 filters is, if one goes down at an inopportune time, I still have some filtering capacity till I can get to the LFS and replace parts or the whole filter if need be (although AC's are pretty bullet proof and never had one fail outright).

Back
Top Bottom