Starting an Oscar Tank, Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rallycat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm about to start setting up a 46-gallon curvefront tank, and I'm wondering if I could get some tips on the best way to keep oscars. How many should I purchase to start? What kind of filtration etc will I need? What kind of plants do oscars like?
I'm new at this, I've only kept gouramis and goldies until now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

46 gallon will hold no more than 1 adult oscar, and that's extremely pushing it. General rule is 50 gallons per adult oscar. Oscars need LOTS of filtration. I suggest an Emperor 400 even for a 50 gallon. Maybe more.

Oscars don't like plants, much. Mine have left the plants I have in the tank alone, but they're still young. Most oscars will dig them up and let them float at the top of the water. Younger ones seem to like hiding/playing in swords though.

I have two Oscars in my 55gal they are still smaller fish(5-6in) and have plans to move them to a 180 soon.
Anyway..I have two penguin 330'S and a Fluval 404 canister filter running and they keep the tank CLEAN.
I also have alot of live plants that they dont even mess with.
HTH

Sounds like you've got it under control for now, Oscarbreeder....because
of some good filtration and their "junior" size.

Your comment made me realize that no-one asked rallycat what sizes of Oscars
were being considered or planned for the 46Bow tank???
It always raises some eyebrows when I comment that such tanks can be used
(carefully!!!) as a "grow-out" tank for fish that eventually get larger.
That said, it can easily become a "nightmare" of tank maintenance and
related problems, if not careful, however.
I have many customers who "like simply to grow fish up" and then bring
them in to "trade" with. It would certainly be advisable for anyone contemplating
doing that, to make sure they have an "outlet store or ??" that will accept such
larger fish IN ADVANCE!!!

P.S. For rallycat, plants will simply be "toys" for Oscars!! Some have been
able to keep plants with Oscars if "nailed down securely"!! :wink:
Bernie

Wow! Two 330's and a 404 in a 55 gallon? I'm running a 55 gallon with 1 oscar, 1 dempsey, and 1 convict with just a Magnum 350. Seems to do the job though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom