Starting from scratch 72G Dirted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePlantedMedic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All;

This is my first aquarium outside of my 5G hobby tank which housed a goldfish my wife saved from a stag and doe. I am the newbiest of the newbies when it comes to keeping this aquarium. I am a husband, new dad and full time paramedic, I have decided to slip this hobby in there somewhere! I have run across twisted information throughout my time researching this new hobby as some do it one way, others do it another. I think that my style here will be a hybrid of what I have learned so far. Being from Ontario and not from the States or UK I think puts me at a disadvantage. The area I am in has a poor choice in LFS and the big brand guys aren't the most helpful even though I dropped over a grand in equipment from their store to start.

I have purchased a 72G marineland tank and stand. Atop sits a 48" AquaticLife Marquis dual lamp T5HO 52W 6,000K light. Under it I am running a SunSun 304B with the usual biomedia (sans charcoal) and no UV light. It says it has 525GPH output, with the media I highly doubt that, I am not an expert but there is very little movement in my tank, I will be adding a powerhead shortly.

The substrate is one 15lbs bag of Miracle Gro Organic potting mix, wet and left in a 1" block in the middle of the tank. I capped it with black K & E blasting sand, it did not say the grit size on the bag however it is medium and roughly the same as pool filter sand.

The scape is super beginner but we are happy with it. My wife and I put it together one night quickly as we can't wait to get this thing going. We added two natural root decorations with a couple rocks and my (mandatory) white sand path.

We have planted many beginner fast growing plants as to get as much growth as fast as possible, I am paranoid of the inevitable algae bloom. There is currently one of each we found at our LFS and big name store; ludwigia, anubias, crypt, sword, jungle val, java fern, dwarf val, rotala, hornwort and another I can't remember the name of. We are looking for some ground cover and a large centerpiece plant we have not picked out yet. Any suggestions?

The aspiration is to one day increase the lighting and add CO2, we will see how things go to start.

Currently on day 5 of a fishless cycle. I dosed initially with 40mL of pure ammonia, I have been sitting between 3 and 4ppm since, I can't tell on the test strip to be honest. I will add the values with some pictures. The new tank syndrome day 2+3 freaked me out, I thought I was getting an algae bloom as I noted a white mucous like build up on the tree roots and the substrate. Thanks to this site I now know that is a form of bacteria that is growing that will go away and I just need to watch the filter so it does not clog with it. Lights are on 6.5hrs a day to attempt to limit any algae.

Enough talk, here are my water values and some pictures.

Tap Water: pH: 7.8 / KH: 7dKH 125.3ppm / GH: 161.1ppm / Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: 0,0,0.

Day 4 was the cloudiest which cleared within about 24-36hrs. The white mucous is still present in abundance, you may be able to see it in the photos.

I will be updating this as often as I can and will be watching for any advice, suggestions or thoughts. Thanks in advance for checking this out, I look forward to chatting with all of you and picking your brains. Especially when it comes time to stocking this!!

:fish1:Jay:fish2:

Attachments

• New.jpg
    New.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Post Fill.jpg
    Post Fill.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Cloudy.jpg
    Cloudy.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Day 5.jpg
    Day 5.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 185
Good luck keeping the white and black separate! I've heard it can be challenging but can't give first hand experience.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hear your worried about your LFS quality. I have the same feeling as you with the LFS in Saskatoon. I found a local aquarium society in my area. Try to google the Ottawa Vally Aquarium Society. Most aquarium clubs offer help form people who care for the hobby and have auctions that have cheep and good quality fish, plants and supplies. I look forward to following your thread.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

My main advise is to take this slow. Fish keeping is a hobby of patience. Don't rush and always look deeply into your ideas. Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

Day 6

So yet again another trip to Big Al's to pick up the glass canopy I forgot there last week. Figures that they literally just stuffed their new order of plants into the aquariums for display. That cost me quite a bit, I wanted one of each. The guy in the livestock section was actually very helpful this time, he took the time to look at the pictures of that white slime that appeared on the roots. He said he got the same and it comes from the tree root in the tank it is like a sappy kind of substance(?). Either way, what a pain that was. I spent about two hours trying to dig it out of the aquarium today with the python. I had to pull the roots right out and scrub them off, I also made my first attempt at tying java moss to the root, I made a mess out of it but learned a bit for next time. The substrate clouded the tank from all the agitation. I ended up taking out about 20% or so of the water. I didn't want to do this as I am sure it will set back the cycle a bit. I have since added around 30mL of ammonia and it brought me up from 0.25ppm to 2ppm, I am not sure what is going on as yesterday it was at 4ppm and there is no way the cycle is moving on yet. Maybe I have planted too much? I am not sure. I am done planting until the cycle is done, I decided that today as i stood over the tank cursing at the mess I made.

Here is the new plant lay out with the new additions we made today. Hopefully it will be more clear in the morning after the filter has some time to clean up after me...

Thanks for the posts so far, I will be contacting a local club for sure and am done rushing things for now... (I did buy a bottle of flourish excel today however I will hold off for a bit... :brows:)

Jay

Attachments

• Root goo.jpg
    Root goo.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Day 6.jpg
    Day 6.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Day 6 L.jpg
    Day 6 L.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Day 6 R.jpg
    Day 6 R.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 151
For the white stuff on the roots boil the roots for 20 minutes and put the roots back in. Thats what I did when I got white fuzz on my spiderwood

Changing the water won't set a cycle back. The beneficial bacteria doesn't hang out in the water but on everything.

What kind of water test do you use? Many people will tell others that test strips are unreliable the liquid test kits are what most people use.

I eventually got the ammonia back up to 4ppm after adding close to 40mL back to the tank, weird considering it only took around 30-35mL to get it to 4ppm initially and I only did about 20-30% of a water change. The water is still a little murky today almost 24hrs after I stirred it all up. Other than that things seem alright. I will be looking into getting something to improve circulation, I am just looking for something to sway the plants, I know some fish like the current as well and I would like at least one group of schooling fish. Is there anything I should look at or stay away from before I add one of these to the tank?

Where do I start for stocking this thing? What is a good resource to tell what fish get along with each other? Does anyone have a good stocking strategy? I was thinking about finding a couple species I "must" have and going from there, has anyone done any different? How do I know what the tank can handle bio load wise? Will a HOB filter increase that down the road if I would like to add more or should I keep an eye on another canister? Thanks in advance for your wisdom! Have a good weekend.

THE NITRITES ARE HERE!!!!

Maybe that ammonia drop I was seeing in the partial water change yesterday was supposed to be happening. Ammonia this morning was the same roughly as it was last night, maybe a little less ~3ppm but the nitrItes are officially light purple (0.25ppm) which is wicked. I tested a couple of times to make sure. It seems a little fast, this is only day 7, I know it will be a while for the nitrAtes to show up but seeing that first nitrIte change is exciting! One day closer to fishies. My wife doesn't understand the excitement but I know you guys will!

False Readings?

Quick cycle update. I am not sure what's going on here but this fish less cycle is flying by. I have some insane growth on my plants also which is wild. Tons of new growth from hurting plants and a whack of growth on a lot of the taller ones. I am not sure if the dirt is releasing some super good stuff into the water but this tank is looking a lot better than it did mere days ago. Water is also crystal clear. Today is day 10 and the Nitrites are off the charts (they were 0.25ppm yesterday). Also today I had my first Nitrate reading. A concern I have is the ammonia isn't dropping fast like some described how it should. Do you think this cycle is happening or am I getting false readings from my test lot from the plants or dirt? Let me know what you think. Can't wait for the fish!

Attachments

• Day 10 Test.jpg
    Day 10 Test.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 124
The ammo may just be waaaayy off the charts and its going to take some time for it to come down.

Did a 50% change today as both Nitrites and Nitrates are unreadable, they are still high after the change but are atleast registering. I have had to add between 30-40mL of ammonia each day in order to get a reading on that. Good news I guess the ammonia is being used up and brought to 0 within 24 hours. Just waiting for those Nitrites to bottom out so I can do a huge water change, rescape and add some fish. I was thinking of getting a couple of angel fish to start along with a nice sized school of some sort to start and to keep the bacteria alive. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as a clean up crew goes? I would like to do shrimp at one point, also maybe something for any algae that ends up on the glass. Are there any shrimp or catfish or plecos that would be good for a sand like substrate? Let me know if you have any suggestions or a link to any forums that cover this, that would be great. I will post an updated shot of the scape when I redo it and then again when I add the fish. Thanks.

Make sure you dose the ammonia back to 4ppm and see if it is nitrAres in 24 hours, if it isn't your not done cycling.
Be careful with angels as they can be aggressive if they pair up amd spawn. Also small fish have the chance to become angel food.
Cory catfish would love the sand substrate.

Make sure you dose the ammonia back to 4ppm and see if it is nitrAres in 24 hours, if it isn't your not done cycling.
Be careful with angels as they can be aggressive if they pair up amd spawn. Also small fish have the chance to become angel food.
Cory catfish would love the sand substrate.

Thanks for the pointers! I have been dosing the ammonia up to 4ppm as per your advice, it drops within a day every time. I just happened to check it twice yesterday and both times had to dose back to 4ppm so the bacteria seem efficient. The Nitrites today seem a little less, I know this can be the longest part...

Back
Top Bottom