Starting New 20 Gallon Long, Need Questions Answered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Limli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, my name is Liam and I am semi experienced in the fish tank world, as I have a healthy 10 gallon tank with Dwarf Gouramis and White Mountain Minnows. That is a very basic tank that has fake plants and gravel substrate, but I am planning on making a 20 Gallon Long planted tank in the Iwagumi Style. I have bought some items and know the others I am going to buy but here is a list of my setup and after that I have a few questions I was hoping more experienced aquarists could answer.

20 Gallon Long Tank:
- Substrate: ADA Amazonia
- Filter: Hydor Canister Filter - 250
- Light: 30 Inch Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED
- Heater: Aqueon 100 Watt Pro Heater
- CO2 System: CO2 Regulator with Solenoid
CO2 Tubing - 10 Feet
Bubble Counter with Check Valve
Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 12/16mm

I am planning on housing a school of 14-16 Cardinal Tetras. It will be planted with a carpet of Dwarf Baby Tears and occasional spots of Dwarf Hairgrass around the rocks.

Questions:

1. Will the Hydor Canister Filter - 250 provide enough flow in the tank or should I invest in 240 GPH Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump?

2. Will the ADA Amazonia soil start the cycle without having to add fish?

3. Would I be able to house Crystal and Amano shrimp with the cardinals or will they be eaten?

4. Are there any dry ferts I should add to the tank under the substratre?

5. Will Mountain Minnows eat Crystal and Amano shrimp (Thinking of putting some in my other tank once I redo it with live plants and better equipment)?

I hope that I can get some answers for these questions as I want to have a really nice tank and make a good environment for the fish I get. Have a wonderful day everyone and I hope to hear back soon!
- Liam

Hello, my name is Liam and I am semi experienced in the fish tank world, as I have a healthy 10 gallon tank with Dwarf Gouramis and White Mountain Minnows. That is a very basic tank that has fake plants and gravel substrate, but I am planning on making a 20 Gallon Long planted tank in the Iwagumi Style. I have bought some items and know the others I am going to buy but here is a list of my setup and after that I have a few questions I was hoping more experienced aquarists could answer.

20 Gallon Long Tank:
- Substrate: ADA Amazonia
- Filter: Hydor Canister Filter - 250
- Light: 30 Inch Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED
- Heater: Aqueon 100 Watt Pro Heater
- CO2 System: CO2 Regulator with Solenoid
CO2 Tubing - 10 Feet
Bubble Counter with Check Valve
Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 12/16mm

I am planning on housing a school of 14-16 Cardinal Tetras. It will be planted with a carpet of Dwarf Baby Tears and occasional spots of Dwarf Hairgrass around the rocks.

Questions:

1. Will the Hydor Canister Filter - 250 provide enough flow in the tank or should I invest in 240 GPH Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump?

I use the Hydor 250 on my 40b,it will be plenty of flow & maybe a lil too much..

2. Will the ADA Amazonia soil start the cycle without having to add fish?

Can't comment on this...

3. Would I be able to house Crystal and Amano shrimp with the cardinals or will they be eaten?

You will be fine with the shrimp but allow for hiding places..

4. Are there any dry ferts I should add to the tank under the substratre?

You could order up some ada power sand...

5. Will Mountain Minnows eat Crystal and Amano shrimp (Thinking of putting some in my other tank once I redo it with live plants and better equipment)?

I've had those minnows with those shrimp with no issue..the eheim skim350 (surface skimmer)would also be a good addition..

I hope that I can get some answers for these questions as I want to have a really nice tank and make a good environment for the fish I get. Have a wonderful day everyone and I hope to hear back soon!
- Liam

sit in silence...

Back
Top Bottom