starting off fresh, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyshortee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a betta in a 5 gallon tank. He seems sluggish and isn't eating as much, i think he may be getting old. I'm thinking whenever he passes I want to get different fish. Debating on possibly getting African Dwarf Frogs. I hear they are ok for a 5 gallon. I'm just wondering if it would possibly jump out of the few holes in the tank lid. If i do get Dwarf frogs then what fish to go with it? People say a betta and I might get one, i'm just not sure. Another thing is, i keep reading about you all cycling your tank. What exactly does that mean. How do you cycle a 5 gallon tank? I would like to upgrade to a 10 gallon but i won't be able to do that for a while now, especially if i'm getting new fish as well. I always would just put water in the tank and put the dechloronator in the tank and then put the fish in and pretty much they have been fine. I just want this new tank set up to work out.

OK, there is an entire sticky on cycling. It is basically allowing the helpful bacteria to get enough numbers to break down the waste so the P.H. and other factors stay stable. It requires setting the tank up and a series of water changes to get rid of ammonia and nitrates until the bacteria can handle it.

As for dwarf frogs, yes a 5gal can house them. A male betta will work, so will 2-3 female bettas. You could go with small fish-nano fish-such as least killies or tiger teddys. You could also put 2-3 male Endlers in the tank or 2 females and two males. Females will produce an endless supply of food for the frogs-fry. If you want unusual and beautiful, you could get a pair of sparkeling or other pigny gouramis. Not dwarfs, pigmys are much smaller.

If you do decide to get a 10gal-I'd suggest it, then set it up and take the filter from the 5gal and run it in the 10gal along with the filter for the 10gal for two weeks. Do two 50% water changes one, each week and the tank should be cycled. During that process you can use a cheap plastic corner filter with fiber and carbon in the 5gal or run a sponge filter for 4 weeks before taking the other filter out and placing it on the 10gal. Any questions, feel free to P.M. me.

I have a dwarf frog and a betta and I couldn't keep them together. the frog kept attacking the betta and not letting go of its fins. betta would take off just as fast it could to the other side of the tank with the frog still latched on to its fins. i never knew bettas could swim that fast. your experience may differ. when it first happened i was told to feed the frog more but it didn't help. i had even read that they are popular to keep together and i don't understand why.

I'm with smooth on this one I have three albino clawed frogs never had luck with fish .

Back
Top Bottom