Starting out - Which aquarium should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impulse83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya,
I've decided that I want to start and aquarium and keep a couple of fishes (tetras and guppies maybe) and I have no idea what kinda aquarium to get?
I'm thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank and some of the brands I see in the local Petsmart or Walmart are Regent Aqua-Tech, AquaTank, and SeaClear. Which one of those would be the better choice? or is there any other brands which make a better tank?
Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to AA! I would start out with 20 gals. I also recommend staying away from the kits. You end up upgrading the filters anyway. Allglass makes good tanks but to be honest Iamb not big on brands, I have many used tanks I have no idea what brand they are and they are great. I would also recommend reading through our articles section for great information on fishless cycling and the nitrogen cycle.

If you have any questions feel free to post away. You have just landed up on the friendliest forum on the net!

I agree with Zagz, I started off with a 10 gallon kit from walmart. It was cheaper then buying separate pieces but the only thing I don't like is the lid(lights). And I should've bought a 20 gallon as it would be more room to work with. I just wanted a small kit to house a couple of fish and a crayfish, and I ended up buying 3 more kits :D. So the hobby gets addictive quick!

Have fun!

If you do decide on a tank, note the difference between the black silicon sealant and clear sealant that are used. I believe the brand of tanks from PetSmart contain black sealant, which I am not a fan of at all. It appears in tanks bigger than 10 gallons.

I agree with a 20 gallon to start instead of a 10 gallon.

Thanks for the input guys!
I did read that the lids on most of the kits are usually not that convenient for feeding and stuff so I'll probably stay away from that.
I've also read that acrylic aquariums are generally not as good as glass ones? Is that true?
Another thing, is there a difference between vertical tanks and horizontal tanks in terms of the amount of fish and plants I can keep in them? I'm familiar with the 1 inch per gallon rule and I'm guessing it applies to either types of tanks?
Thanks again!

Acrylics look cooler, but they generally cost more so at the low end of tanks, I would just recommend glass tanks. Acrylic scratches more easily than glass too.

You want a horizontal tank. A 20 gallon long versus a 20 gallon standard is my recommendation. Most fish will not use up all the vertical space. The more surface area you have on the top, the more oxygen can dissolve into the water. That is why horizontal tanks are preferred. The inch per gallon rule should not really be used for vertical tanks. There may not be enough oxygen for the fish in the water in a vertical setup.

Long tanks also give fish more swimming room. Fish like Harlequinn Rasboras are great schooling fish and it's fun to watch them swim across longer distances.

If you do decide on a tank, note the difference between the black silicon sealant and clear sealant that are used. I believe the brand of tanks from PetSmart contain black sealant, which I am not a fan of at all. It appears in tanks bigger than 10 gallons.

Some Perfecto tanks also use black silicone for the seals. The LFS I worked at always got a choice of black or clear when ordering Perfecto tanks. I personally like the look of the black, I have a 55 with the black seals.

Go for the 20 long over the 20 tall, if possible, and I'd get a glass tank. A comparably-sized acrylic tank will really cost you.:)

Get the biggest tank you can afford/have room for. Look at used for a better deal. A bigger tank is much less work overall once set up. I agree that a 20 long makes a much better tank, for most fish.

I agree on the size. I have had every thing from a 2 GAL show up to a 240 GAL. and I still kept my 29 GAL tall. It's large enough for 1 or 2 large fish or many small fish. If you go to a larger tank it makes a good QT or hospital tank. Its not so heavy that it needs its own stand. One person can move it if need be. At 36 inches long you can put almost any kind of lighting on it, from 1 20 florescent watt (FW) to 260 watt compact florescent (reef) or MH.

At this size I prefer glass. As for brands I don't know mine the tag wore off about 25 years ago. They are all glass with wood grained plastic trim.

Thats my $0.02 worth!

Haha, I bought the 10 gallon kit from WalMart too. :lol:

Cheap thing, when I got home, I found one of the panels was smashed. Spent an hour in the customer service to get a refund only to drive to another Walmart to get a replacement. I almost regret it. I want a 40-50 gallon now, and since I got a small 10 gallon, it makes moving it to another location much easier.

So once I finished setting up my 10 gallon, my girlfriend sits on the lid and smashes the glass. Ugh! We had a lot of bad luck that day.

SPARTAN VI said:
I almost regret it. I want a 40-50 gallon now, and since I got a small 10 gallon, it makes moving it to another location much easier.

Thats the exact reason I bought a couple 10 gallons. I am in college, and at the moment - I am not sure if I'm staying at the place I'm renting. I'd hate to setup a nice 55gal, and then tackle breaking it down to move!

Those kits work great, only thing I don't like are the included bulbs, and the plastic whisper filter.

A standard tank vs. a long also depends upon the fish. In general, yes, long is always nice, but it can be harder for stands and such.

With cichlids long is very much preferrable, they claim territory, but it's all in terms of surface area (but I wouldn't recommend cichlids, other than maybe a couple shellies, in a tank that size). For angels, tall is preferrable. Neither of those extremes is really good for a community tank though.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm still looking around the LFS to see where I can get the best tank for me. I don't wanna have to get it and then return in again. But there were a lot of times when I just want to get a tank on a whim. I've seen one that looked like a phone booth! =D

Plus, I'm reading up on the fishless cycling and nitrogen cycle. This hobby is far more complex and interesting than I first imagined. Just want to get everything right when I actually start.

If you have room and funds, go for a 55 gallon. They are long and have the most versatile stocking options. I would buy the tank and stand from Petsmart if you can't find a used tank. I would order a filter online. Most accessories such as filter, heaters and such are much cheaper online than at the store, especially lfs's. My LFS sells Emperor 400 filters for $100.00, you can buy them online from much less than half of that cost.

Another reason to go with a 55, IMO, is for health reasons. I have never lost a fish in 55, never had ich or any other illnesses. I seem to lose a fish or two every now and then in my smaller tank(s). I keep the same maintenance schedule, it just seems that more water equals healthier fish.

Just some thoughts, a 20 gallon long would be very cool as well.

Good luck!

I have had every thing from a 2 GAL show up to a 240 GAL. and I still kept my 29 GAL tall. It's large enough for 1 or 2 large fish or many small fish. If you go to a larger tank it makes a good QT or hospital tank. Its not so heavy that it needs its own stand. One person can move it if need be. At 36 inches long you can put almost any kind of lighting on it, from 1 20 florescent watt (FW) to 260 watt compact florescent (reef) or MH.
A standard 29 gallon is only 30 inches long. A 30 long is 36 inches long. I kept a 29 on a dresser for a while, and it made me pretty uncomfortable. I'd recommend a stand for anything larger than 15-20 gallons.

If you live anywhere near KY, I'll happily sell you a 55 gallon with stand, hoods, and Emperor 400. PM if interested.

Just remember, the bigger the tank, the easier to maintain due to a larger water volume. So get the biggest tank that your budget allows for. I like my 26G bowfront and my 29G standard. Both are a great starter tank, and doesn't have as many limiting factors as a 10G does.

Agreed, either one of those setups is much better for a beginner than a 10 gallon!

Back
Top Bottom