Starting to see some cyano.. why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I feel like its getting worse by the hour.. I still don't know what's going wrong! Any other ideas?!

ForumRunner_20120728_194504.jpg

ForumRunner_20120728_194527.jpg

ForumRunner_20120728_194545.jpg

I wanna figure out the cause.

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, I feel like its getting worse by the hour.. I still don't know what's going wrong! Any other ideas?!

I wanna figure out the cause.

What is your water temp and alkalinity?

00youknowit00 said:
Temp is 80 and I don't know alkalinity, don't have a test for that..

Keep alk up round 12 that might help and are you using ro water?

Looks good to me i have read tho that sometimes distilled water is stored in metal containers and or dispensed thru copper plumbing how much truth that holds i dont know it said on label ro but i didn see di which is the process that removes metals

danbstrong said:
Looks good to me i have read tho that sometimes distilled water is stored in metal containers and or dispensed thru copper plumbing how much truth that holds i dont know it said on label ro but i didn see di which is the process that removes metals

Suggestion try ro/di from lfs on next couple water changes and top off water if it goes away you will know good luck i know the whole ordeal is unnerving sometimes from my experience youll have up and downs for the first year after that its all gravy i dont do anything in mine i only check alk once a week

00youknowit00 said:
Could that be my problem is that the water is just ro, not ro/di?

Its worth investigating but from my understanding cyano feeds on metals as well as obvious nutrients

danbstrong said:
Its worth investigating but from my understanding cyano feeds on metals as well as obvious nutrients

Hmmmm.. well my friend has an ro/di unit and said he'd give me some water if I want.

Could that be my problem is that the water is just ro, not ro/di?

The di just stands for Deionized. I don't think that's the prob. Cyano feeds on phosphates and excess nutrients I don't believe it feeds of metals. Use chemiclean I guarantee it will go away. Also test the walmart water with a phosphate and nitrate test and see what its at to see if it is the problem. I don't think metals are the problem the water may be high in phos and nitrate.

bigben2057 said:
The di just stands for Deionized. I don't think that's the prob. Cyano feeds on phosphates and excess nutrients I don't believe it feeds of metals. Use chemiclean I guarantee it will go away. Also test the walmart water with a phosphate and nitrate test and see what its at to see if it is the problem. I don't think metals are the problem the water may be high in phos and nitrate.

I agree and disagree cyano does feed from excess nutrients phosphates sylicits nitrates but these are not always present it can feed off of ions when water goes thru metal pipes it collects many different ions from the metals thats why we have ro/di units to insure pure clean water distilled water should be free of nitrates and phosphates but still can contain ions before you use chemclean ask around cause yes it works but you can lose coral from it especially if you have sps

I agree and disagree cyano does feed from excess nutrients phosphates sylicits nitrates but these are not always present it can feed off of ions when water goes thru metal pipes it collects many different ions from the metals thats why we have ro/di units to insure pure clean water distilled water should be free of nitrates and phosphates but still can contain ions before you use chemclean ask around cause yes it works but you can lose coral from it especially if you have sps

The only reason people lose corals and such is because they don't use an airstone as suggested on the product as the product depletes o2 in the water and an air stone is needed to replace it during the process. Metals like copper are bad for inverts is all I know especially star fish and corals never heard of cyano eating it.

bigben2057 said:
The only reason people lose corals and such is because they don't use an airstone as suggested on the product as the product depletes o2 in the water and an air stone is needed to replace it during the process. Metals like copper are bad for inverts is all I know especially star fish and corals never heard of cyano eating it.

Imo id rather find the problem and cause rather than medicating my water its not the metals themselves its the ions from the metals and all algae can feed off ions or else there be no need for deionizing the water i wasnt saying that was the problem i was just saying it was worth looking into you never know whats in water sometimes

I have used bottled distilled water from Walmart and tested it it had a TDS of 0ppm. So no metals. As has been said many times the most likely cause is over feeding. The solution to pollution is dilution. I would start a regime of 5-10% water changes every few days making sure to blow the rocks off and siphon out the detritus. I would also vacuum the sand bed. I would not add chemicals. Once the cyano burns through the nutrients in your tank...it will go away.

reefrunner69 said:
I have used bottled distilled water from Walmart and tested it it had a TDS of 0ppm. So no metals. As has been said many times the most likely cause is over feeding. The solution to pollution is dilution. I would start a regime of 5-10% water changes every few days making sure to blow the rocks off and siphon out the detritus. I would also vacuum the sand bed. I would not add chemicals. Once the cyano burns through the nutrients in your tank...it will go away.

This is more of my thoughts.. I don't think I'm overfeeding though.. but I could have been with mysis shrimp..

I have also tested Wal-Mart distilled and have seen TDS. Ideally this is supposed to b zero. I have argued with others here at AA before about this. I have also tested other brands with the same results. The amount is negligible and shouldn't factor in the Cyano outbreak. I use my own RO/DI water and also have had Cyano. I don't feed my coral tank at all. I use a good skimmer and have excellent filtration. I have also experienced this in my other tank. Light does effect Cyano and turning them off a couple days can eliminate it. But fm what I've experienced and everything I've read indicates that most tanks will have this bacteria at some point as they mature. It's no big deal. Syphon out what u can and wait it out. Avoid the chemicals if u can. But they do work as stated by others. Unfortunately they can also eliminate beneficial bacteria.

Crabs said:
I have also tested Wal-Mart distilled and have seen TDS. Ideally this is supposed to b zero. I have argued with others here at AA before about this. I have also tested other brands with the same results. The amount is negligible and shouldn't factor in the Cyano outbreak. I use my own RO/DI water and also have had Cyano. I don't feed my coral tank at all. I use a good skimmer and have excellent filtration. I have also experienced this in my other tank. Light does effect Cyano and turning them off a couple days can eliminate it. But fm what I've experienced and everything I've read indicates that most tanks will have this bacteria at some point as they mature. It's no big deal. Syphon out what u can and wait it out. Avoid the chemicals if u can. But they do work as stated by others. Unfortunately they can also eliminate beneficial bacteria.

Okay, I don't like using chemicals anyways.. I've been using airline tubing to suck it out. I guess ill jist wait it out

Back
Top Bottom