Starting to see some cyano.. why??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
00youknowit00 said:
How so?

Cause I don't think it is lol

I was talking about some times people just wish the aquarium worked their way. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case. An aquarium works 1 way and that is natures way.

Not a comment reflective towards your thread, infact, I found it very informative. Just agreeing with crabs in a general sense.

Readingexcalibur said:
I was talking about some times people just wish the aquarium worked their way. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case. An aquarium works 1 way and that is natures way.

Not a comment reflecting towards your thread, infact, I found it very informative. Just agreeing with crabs in a general sense.

Okay, I was just wondering. But yes, it works like it wants despite how hard we try to make it now. I agree haha

00youknowit00 said:
Okay, I was just wondering. But yes, it works like it wants despite how hard we try to make it now. I agree haha

Yeah, I personally have had some crazy issues with cyano. It wasn't until I changed my RODI distributer and purchased a 40$ phosban 150 reactor from bulk reef supply that I never saw the stuff again. If I ever (rarely) see bubbles under my sand bed, I simply use a small acrylic feeding stick and swish the sand. I am a firm believer that a single bubble under the sandbed is not only a byproduct of cyano trying to form, but also an air supply to start a grouping. :)

Readingexcalibur said:
Yeah, I personally have had some crazy issues with cyano. It wasn't until I changed my RODI distributer and purchased a 40$ phosban 150 reactor from bulk reef supply that I never saw the stuff again. If I ever (rarely) see bubbles under my sand bed, I simply use a small acrylic feeding stick and swish the sand. I am a firm believer that a single bubble under the sandbed is not only a byproduct of cyano trying to form, but also an air supply to start a grouping. :)

Well my water is fine and I run a brs reactor with gfo, which should be sufficient going off of what other people do/ have said. BUT that's never the case when it comes to me:)

Before everyone jumps on my case for saying, I used chemiclean to eliminate it before adding the reactor and new water supplier. I think that any cyano in the system will build back up. I chose super eliminate! :)

I think its a good way to do it! I used chemiclean to get rid of the algae. With no algae the gfo will absorb the phosphates and keep the algae from coming back! Worked for me!

Readingexcalibur said:
Before everyone jumps on my case for saying, I used chemiclean to eliminate it before adding the reactor and new water supplier. I think that any cyano in the system will build back up. I chose super eliminate! :)

bavass said:
I think its a good way to do it! I used chemiclean to get rid of the algae. With no algae the gfo will absorb the phosphates and keep the algae from coming back! Worked for me!

Well I've heard nothing but praise to chemiclean. I may give it a try..

bavass said:
Chemiclean kills the algae does not fix the problem

Sometimes you need to use a cleaner to scrub the masses, then apply the solution to resolve the underlying problems.

It's like an infection. You cut yourself and don't keep it clean, it becomes infected. By adding a bandaid, it is not going to get better. You need to either add peroxide or find another cleansing route before you add the bandage. Using the chemiclean is just that, an application to scrub the infection before adding the bandaid for long term resolve.

Readingexcalibur said:
Sometimes you need to use a cleaner to scrub the masses, then apply the solution to resolve the underlying problems.

It's like an infection. You cut yourself and don't keep it clean, it becomes infected. By adding a bandaid, it is not going to get better. You need to either add peroxide or find another cleansing route before you add the bandage. Using the chemiclean is just that, an application to scrub the infection before adding the bandaid for long term resolve.

Its incredibly lower than it was at the start of this thread. I've made a lot of progress, but its like I just can't get an edge above it..

Would using water with a TDS of 6ppm cause a problem? Because I ended up with a unit, but it comes out at 6ppm (we have tap of about 600ppm, and the unit isn't new). I know I can replace the filters/membrane but I can't really do that right now. So for now i'm still using distilled.

I would say yes. I was seeing cyano at 3ppm, after choosing a better water distributer, I am not seeing 0.1 on my meter. I rely on my phosban reactor to take care of the .1. 0 phosphates ='s 0 cyano! :)

Readingexcalibur said:
I would say yes. I was seeing cyano at 3ppm, after choosing a better water distributer, I am not seeing 0.1 on my meter. I rely on my phosban reactor to take care of the .1. 0 phosphates ='s 0 cyano! :)

Then ill stick with my distilled..

But shouldn't my GFO reactor take care of it anyway?

*edit*
When the cyano started I was using distilled anyway..

00youknowit00 said:
Then ill stick with my distilled..

But shouldn't my GFO reactor take care of it anyway?

*edit*
When the cyano started I was using distilled anyway..

Distilled will still have impurities believe it or not. And a GFO reactor does not take care of everything, it is only an assist and a compliment to a good RODI system.

Readingexcalibur said:
Distilled will still have impurities believe it or not. And a GFO reactor does not take care of everything, it is only an assist and a compliment to a good RODI system.

Hmmm.. Enough to cause cyano though?

Of course. Nobody has ever set a limit on what causes the bacteria. 1ppm has done it, I am positive 6ppm is the issue. I think you will get it under control, just takes time and resources.

Readingexcalibur said:
Of course. Nobody has ever set a limit on what causes the bacteria. 1ppm has done it, I am positive 6ppm is the issue. I think you will get it under control, just takes time and resources.

Well I never used the 6ppm water

00youknowit00 said:
Well I never used the 6ppm water

My water tests at 50 tds right now and ive never had cyano 6 ppm shouldnt imo cause cyano overfeeding maybe or not enough flow or not enough cuc to finish off uneaten food jmo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom