Stef's first planted tank - 50g build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I got everything set up and going finally! yay! I will try to keep all my future questions to this thread.

It's a bit sparse on plants and a bit cloudy right now, but it's cycling and that's what's most important!

I also hit 4ppm ammonia on the first shot! go me!:brows:

Plants so far:
Amazon sword
Micro sword
Anubias petite nana
Glossostigma

Still not too sure about the giant dw to the right...

img_1760514_0_96767835c6315fb3970e5b698c22b456.jpg

img_1760514_1_1a9bd98328cd9280be39424c79b275e1.jpg

img_1760514_2_247612824e9559d52ec63f9770da282d.jpg

What kind of light do you have on there? Glosso stigma can do some weeeeeird stuff if it's not getting what it wants.

I didn't know anything about glosso when I purchased it. The guy at the lfs said it does well in low light and would make a good carpet. I should know better then to buy without doing my own research first, I know now that it needs high light.

I have a t5ho with 2 54w 6700k bulbs. So we'll just have to see how it goes.

It can grow in low light, and it can make a good carpet, but it won't make a good carpet in low light, unfortunately.

I'm wanting more plants, but most of the stores around here either don't have what I want or are overpriced IMO. I was thinking about ordering a package from liveaquaria.com

What is everyone's opinions on ordering plants, and where do you order from?

I highly recommend buying from hobbyists. You can get some here, or head to The Planted Tank
.net for more variety. Make sure you are familiar with the demands of the plants before you order them though.

I've gotten so confused about lighting, I need some help. My tank is 21 in tall with 2-3 in of substrate, I have 2 54w 6500 (not 6700 like I thought) in a T5HO fixture. Currently, the light is right on top of the tank.

I bought this fixture with the idea of the WPG rule in mind, which I now know is pointless with HO lights.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this fixture puts me in the high light range meaning I will need Co2 to keep my plants happy correct?

Am I also correct in thinking that if I suspend my light above the tank, say 10-12 inches, it would put me in the moderate light range?

and what does PAR mean? :blink:

Thanks all

I think my water perameters are wonky. I got the tank started and dosed with 4ppm ammo on the 23rd.
24th - ammo-2 nitrite-0 nitrate-5
25th - ammo-4 nitrite-.25 nitrate-5
I didn't test yesterday
today, 27th - ammo-2 nitrite-off the chart nitrate-10

Should I do a water change, leave it all alone, dose ammo back to 4? Not sure. Please help

Here's today's readings

ForumRunner_20120127_171255.jpg

Anyone? Should I wait to do a pwc until the nitrates are off the chart as well? Or do one now? Should I ask this over on the fishless cycling thread?

:-(

Update: added more plants!

ForumRunner_20120128_205426.jpg

Put this little pennywort in the back since it grows quick

ForumRunner_20120128_205512.jpg

Can't wait till everything fills in and I can add fish!

(sorry about the crappy pics)

Im loving the way it is looking. Any plans for the background on the tank?

Thanks for the compliment! My husband and I are in debate about the back so it'll stay as is for now. I want a dark blue background, but he's weird and actually likes it open :blink:

Like someone mentioned above, black would make everything stand out. I know it has on mine for sure.

Clear is pretty cool too, if you like looking at the tubes and power cords. It also seems to make the tank seem thinner than it really is. Almost any background makes it look more 3 dimensional, imo.

As for the dw, I say keep it. It adds "character" and will be something fun for the fish and inverts you get to play on and around.

I'm not really a fan of just a plain black background. I found one today that was almost black at the bottom and faded to a dark blue at the top that I really liked, almost had the husband convinced :D

But if all works out, plants will be covering the back anyway.

True about the plants, but there will be space at the top that will not be covered with growth, unless you really let the plants grow out a little above the surface.

That background sounds cool. Maybe I should take a better look at what my lfs has next time I'm there. I'm usually focused on so many other things that I forget stuff like that lol!

I'm a big fan of purchasing stuff to see how it looks at home. Tell the hubby you want to try it out and if he really hates it, it can go back to the store

*sigh* the waiting game is hard. Day 10: ammo consistantly back to 0 every 24 hours, nitrite is off the chart and hasn't changed in 7 days, nitrate is staying at a constant 10ppm, pH is a steady 7.8

Grrrr I want fishies lol

LOL. I know the feeling though. I have 2 more tanks I want to set up, but first I need the space. I'm so excited I can't help but "window shop" at my lfs. Ok, a little more than window shopping takes place...:angel:

Back
Top Bottom