Step by Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your salt mix and water changes will get your pH up to where it needs to be. Also surface agitation via powerheads or other circulation pumps can help keep it stable. :)

Another question...do I really need the filter going? I want to get the good bacteria in it so that I can use it in my QT when I start stocking. Maybe take it out once it's cycled and I get some fish in there?

leave the filter running if your going to transfer it to the qt.also PH reading vary throughout the day,morning low and just before lights out high.Dont worry about testing for anything but amm,trites and trates,then you can start on the rest.Keep any lights off whilst cycling to help prevent algae growth.

So, my numbers are very regular now. I took the second shrimp out because it was stinky, but as of this morning my #s were:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 30
Nitrite 0
pH 7.4 (still)

This seems like an awefully fast cycle to me. Shall I buy some ammonia, spike it to 4ppm and see what happens? Or can I go ahead and throw in a CUC?

When is too soon to throw in a CUC?

Looks like it may be done. I would dose it with pure ammonia to maybe 2-4ppm and see how fast it goes to 0 to be totally sure.

Looks like it may be done. I would dose it with pure ammonia to maybe 2-4ppm and see how fast it goes to 0 to be totally sure.

Thanks Carey! What do you think about that CUC? There is some grimey stuff in there from my rotting shrimp :)

I'd wait to make sure youre cycled before adding anything alive. :) When you do your water change before stocking maybe you can vacuum up some of the nasty stuff?

I decided to wait until the Boxing Day Sale to buy my clean up crew. Not only for the health of the animals, but also for the 50% discount :angel:

I'm glad that I did because this weekend I did the 50% pwc and my numbers are off again, it looks like I was only 1/2 way through the cycle.

My bacteria is ripping through the ammonia. I am spiking it daily to 4ppm and about 12-14 hours later it's at 0 again. My Nitrates are around 30-40ppm and my Nitrites are 10.0 + :banghead:. They were so great before, but it looks like that was because it was only 1/2 way through the complete cycle.

Anyways, a few more weeks of waiting won't kill me. I'm now excited to say that my hubby is getting excited about the tank. He drove me to the LFS the other night and spent the time looking at fish, equipment, etc. He's now talking about helping stocking and buying me a bigger tank :D.

I have settled on my line up finally. This list is in order of how I'm going to put them in the tank too.

Goby x 2
Jawfish x 2-3
Puffer x 1
Kaudern's cardinal x1
Anthias x 2-3 (I think I'm going to go for a less agressive breed to aviod the bullying of the subordinates)

Let me know your thoughts.

OH, and BTW, I have a ton of LR in there and NOOOOO Hitch Hikers, well, other than the algae and the sponge, but none of the live animalish kind. I was a little sad about that, I wanted to look at stuff :(

Glad you didnt put anything in! It's always better to be absolutely sure, and dosing back up to 4ppm was a great way to go. Now you know. :) Those nitrites will drop one day soon, you'll see. I'd guess in the next week or two at most.

As far as your stock it looks good, I forget what size tank we are talking about but it doesnt look like too much unless it's like a 30g tank. LOL

Any idea on the anthias's you want? I have a squareback and let me tell ya, he's quite large! I didnt' realize he would be so big, they can get to about 5 inches or so and mine is probably there already. I have considered getting 2 more, some females for him but not sure if that will be too much fish for my tank. lol

Glad you didnt put anything in! It's always better to be absolutely sure, and dosing back up to 4ppm was a great way to go. Now you know. :) Those nitrites will drop one day soon, you'll see. I'd guess in the next week or two at most.

As far as your stock it looks good, I forget what size tank we are talking about but it doesnt look like too much unless it's like a 30g tank. LOL

Any idea on the anthias's you want? I have a squareback and let me tell ya, he's quite large! I didnt' realize he would be so big, they can get to about 5 inches or so and mine is probably there already. I have considered getting 2 more, some females for him but not sure if that will be too much fish for my tank. lol

I have a 35g :oops: Is this too many fish? Maybe I'll cut out the anthias and get something else. What else is colourful and a good community fish? I want a calm environment for my puffer. Maybe an angel? Add it at the end so it cuts down on dominance?

Yeah, I just read up and saw the tank size. I would pass on the anthias's.

I had a midas blenny, very sociable fish and very active. Also a nice yellow color. :)

As far as the angel, they arent always reef safe so if you ever wanted corals you might have some issues.

I would say 5-6 fish in a 35g depending on the fish. I have NO idea about puffers at all so I dont' know what else would be gentle enough for him. :-(

Yeah, I just read up and saw the tank size. I would pass on the anthias's.

I had a midas blenny, very sociable fish and very active. Also a nice yellow color. :)

As far as the angel, they arent always reef safe so if you ever wanted corals you might have some issues.

I would say 5-6 fish in a 35g depending on the fish. I have NO idea about puffers at all so I dont' know what else would be gentle enough for him. :-(

Ok, thanks, I'm going to keep researching. Maybe I'll just go with more goby's and jawfish, they are very peaceful. We'll see....thanks for your input!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have good news! So excited!

I'm cycled! Not only am I spiking the ammonia and my bb is turning the ammonia>Nitrites>nitrates, but it's turning it all around within 12 hours!!! I couldn't wait, so we went out and got 4 small scarlet hermits on Saturday evening. They are doing well, although, there isn't a ton of algae in there, so I bought some of the algae waffers in case.

Also have more good news! My husband is excited about the tank now! He's learning about the different bacterias, how to cycle, the differences in fish and corals. I'm super excited that he is loving the hobby as much as I am. He's not as intent on the research, but I have that covered, so that's not a big deal. He is willing to learn from me though. He is even considering buying a bigger tank because he wants tangs and I want a puffer, so he says we'll do a FOWLR tank for the puffer and a bigger reef...I have to pump his brakes though, because the expense!

Stocking help!!!!

My hubby has great visions as to what would look great in the tank, but he has no clue what is reef safe (and doesn't research it) nor what fish are compatible. I wanted a puffer but am a little off on it at the moment. If I get it then I won't be able to do the reef, but if I get a mini it'll at least leave my CUC alone (and I've read many places that it will POTENTIALLY leave coral alone too). He likes damsel's and tangs, the tangs are obviously 100% out due to our small tank.

I'm thinking:

Goby x 2
Jawfish x 2
Kaudern's cardinal x1
Damsels x 2-3

CUC - I plan on starting with 1/2 and then adding as it's needed (IF it's needed)

4 scarlet hermits
2 blue leg hermits
2 shrimp - candy cane and something else, indecisive at the moment
1 emerald crab
7 cerith snails
3 nassarius snails (Under the sand)
5-7 nerite snails (for their small size)
5 trochus snails (bc I don't have enough algae yet for a turbo)

and of course, once I'm 6-9 months established....A BLUE STARFISH! :D

PLEASE HELP!!! I need community fish, that are really colourful and fun, but that will fit in my tank! I research and reseach but I just can't find a perfect list! :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom