Sterilizing used aquarium decor w/ peroxide & water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polytech

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.
New here, got a situation here that I have never had to deal with before...

I am setting up a new tank (nice one by the way, 78 gallon plexi/ acrylic hex) and I got a screaming deal on a bunch of USED plastic/ resin aquarium decorations @ a garage sale ( I would buy new but @ Petsmart we would be looking @ around $150 worth of stuff).

I do not trust this decor as far as disease, bacteria etc. as it is used... I figure hydrogen peroxide is the way to go to insure I do not possibly contaminate my new set up; as you can't boil plastic and as there is a lot of porosity involved here along w/ old dried on algae... I really don't want to risk the bleach/ water solution method due to the porosity in these cast resin pieces....I have searched this site and all over the web and I still cannot find the proportion of peroxide to water in solution to assure effective sterilization & cleaning of these objects to safeguard my new setup from contamination...Does anybody know offhand how much peroxide to water to accomplish this? I will be doing this in a large stainless sink as the items I'm sterilizing & cleaning are pretty good sized...(Huge castle, something that looks like the great wall of China, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help on this;

J.D. :grin:

I clean all of my aquarium decor and plants with bleach and water. I put a cup of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket and let it soak until all the gunk is off. Then rinse thoroughly and soak again in a bucket of water and dechlorinator. I mix the dechlor at 4X the normal amount. Bleach is chlorine and the dechlor will neutralize it. If the bleach gets into the pores so will the dechlor.

If you are going the H202 route, I would dump a whole bottle of 3% concentrate into a 5 gal bucket and put your decor in, then just put enough water to cover the decor. Soak for a few hours, and then use a toothbrush to clean up any problem areas. Empty, and then rinse with clean water. Fill back up with water and soak for a few hours. Any remaining H202 would be so diluted that it would not hurt your tank at all. I have actually used 3% H202 in a syringe directly in my tank before to spot treat algae, with no harm to fish...

Back
Top Bottom