Still having ammonia issues after months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm315

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been up and running with my dwarf puffers for a while now, but I am still having issues with the ammonia that comes out of my tap. I can't change the water in my tanks straight to the tank. I have to use the air out/leave in bucket for DAYS to a week before I can use it and even then, what is shown is how much ammonia I still have in my tap water after sitting out for days or up to a week! The reading is no different if I treat it with prime either. Keeping an aquarium has become a pain because of this water issue and being scared I'm poisoning my fish with this awful water. And please don't suggest I buy gallons of bottled water for changing my tank. That is not an option.

Attachments

• ammon test.jpg
    ammon test.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 54
Unless you are on well water, or your LFS is on a different water source, your puffers were likely exposed to similar water parameters in your seller's tank. You might contact your LFS to learn how they handle the ammonia. Sometimes in rural communities livestock waste and fertilizer runoff elevate ammonia levels in tap water. A small town near me has that problem.
Depending on what type of filtration you use, there are ammonia neutralizing media products that can be added to your filter basket. I wouldn't go the bottled water route either. Good luck.

Hello drm...

Try Seachem's "Safe". It removes ammonia from the the tap water. You may need to up the amount you use, to ensure the water is tank ready. This product works on contact with the tap water, so there's no need to age the tap water once you've treated it.

B

Back
Top Bottom