Still no nitrItes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is getting a little frustrating :censor: Some history for those that have not read about my woes before: I have had my 20 gallon tank set up since the beginning of March. I started my fishless cycle on March 11th. I could dose my tank to 4ppm of ammonia, but it would never go below 2ppm. I started testing for nitrItes and nitrAtes on March 27th. Occasionally I would see a TINY bit of nitrItes (so I thought) - 0.25ppm at most, but now I wonder if it was just a trick of the eye or wishful thinking. On April 1st (how appropriate!) I started seeing nitrAtes, but still no nitrItes (the API test is a clear blue). During this time, I did get a sample from our tank at work just to check my test and make sure nothing was wrong about my test procedure. That tank tested just as I thought it would. Today I still have no nitrItes, but nitrAtes are between 5-10ppm.

How can I have nitrAtes without nitrItes? Did I somehow miss my nitrIte spike? The ammonia still does not get "eaten up" very quickly in my tank and I have been doing pwcs to control the nitrAtes.

This makes me worry that something is wrong with my tap water. I live in Marion, Iowa (not known for good drinking water) - I just bought my house in July last year and it already had a water softener. From what I understand, this should not be a problem. There is also a filter under my kitchen sink (installed by a previous home owner) - not sure on the kind, but could find out. Should this be an issue? I get my water from the kitchen tap as it is the easiest.

Also, I am thinking of going to work today to get some gravel to use as seed. I did not do the previously as one of the fish had Ich, but that was a few weeks ago and the tank and fish are fine now. Would this be ok?

Sorry for the long post... :rolleyes:

I feel your pain. Started my fishless cycle March 13. About the beginning of April I did not see any nitrites. So I did a large water change and restarted my cycle.

As of now I might be seeing a hint of nitrites. Maybe .125 - .25. I know it is not the light blue color. What I am not seeing is a drop in ammonia.

Now here is the kicker. I tested for nitrates and I got a reading of 15 - 20 ppm. I thought how can this be. So I tested my tap water and that is were I am getting my nitrate reading.

William

Hi William - I did that too - back at the beginning of April. I tested the tap and the nitrAtes were 0 ppm.

Agility, I think you missed your nitrite spike and your tank may actually be cycled. How quickly does the ammonia get turned to nitrates?

That's what I was thinking too, except my tank takes forever to convert ammonia. I brought home some "seed" from the work tank tonight to add to my tank to see what I get. I probably have about 1/4 cup of gravel in a nylon stocking - is that enough? If not, I could bring more home tomorrow night.

How much time constitutes "forever" in this case? I was happy with the condition of my tank when it would turn 4-8ppm of ammonia to nitrates in 24 hours. If 4ppm of ammonia is disappearing from your tank in 24 hours, I'd say you're good.

That should be enough gravel. I seeded my 20L with a 4"x1"x0.5" strip of sponge from another filter. It doesn't take a lot of real estate to house a significant bacteria colony.

LOL - sorry about that. "Forever" is 48 hours to go from 4ppm to 2ppm of ammonia. It sure seemed like forever. ;) I will be interested to see how the readings go now with the seed material. Should that start working right away?

You're right, your cycle isn't very strong yet. Don't expect miracles with your seed material. It should help, but it won't be instantaneous. Basically you're providing a starter colony of bacteria to the tank. They need time to expand and colonize the rest of the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom