Stock advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinGatCat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, just wanted advice on the stock in my 29 gallon tank

Living in there is:
1 Angelfish
2 Platyfish(1 juvenile, 1 Adult both female)
3 Guppies(2 Females, 1 adult and 1 juvenile, 1 juvenile male)
2 Swordtails(male,female)
3 Albino Cory cats
2 Neon Tetras
2 Zebra danios
1 rainbow shark
1 Albino bristlenose Pleco
1 Dragon Goby
1 Bamboo shrimp
4 Amano shrimp(I don't know if they are all still alive. Haven't seen one lately except my only female)
1 assassin snail
1 African dwarf frog.

I'm open to advice or opinions. Just want to know how I'm doing. I really want 2 blue Rams, but I'm afraid I'll go overboard

Hey everyone, just wanted advice on the stock in my 29 gallon tank

Living in there is:
1 Angelfish
2 Platyfish(1 juvenile, 1 Adult both female)
3 Guppies(2 Females, 1 adult and 1 juvenile, 1 juvenile male)
2 Swordtails(male,female)
3 Albino Cory cats
2 Neon Tetras
2 Zebra danios
1 rainbow shark
1 Albino bristlenose Pleco
1 Dragon Goby
1 Bamboo shrimp
4 Amano shrimp(I don't know if they are all still alive. Haven't seen one lately except my only female)
1 assassin snail
1 African dwarf frog.

I'm open to advice or opinions. Just want to know how I'm doing. I really want 2 blue Rams, but I'm afraid I'll go overboard

You're already WAY overboard as is.

Take out dragon goby and rainbow shark. Those get too big for a 29 gallon.

You need more then 3 corydoras, 2 neon tetras and 2 zebra danios. Schooling fish need groups of at least 5 or 6 individuals.

Your angelfish will get big enough to eat your guppies, tetras, danios and your shrimp.

African dwarf frogs can be prone to being out-competed by fish. I would worry about him starving in that tank.

Your tank is insanely heavily stocked; I would figure out which fish you like the best, build a stocking plan around those fish, and find a new home for the rest of the fish.

J
You're already WAY overboard as is.

Take out dragon goby and rainbow shark. Those get too big for a 29 gallon.

You need more then 3 corydoras, 2 neon tetras and 2 zebra danios. Schooling fish need groups of at least 5 or 6 individuals.

Your angelfish will get big enough to eat your guppies, tetras, danios and your shrimp.

African dwarf frogs can be prone to being out-competed by fish. I would worry about him starving in that tank.

Your tank is insanely heavily stocked; I would figure out which fish you like the best, build a stocking plan around those fish, and find a new home for the rest of the fish.

My neons used to have a big school. 10 individuals. This was before the shark, goby, swords, and bamboo shrimp. 8 died for unknown causes. 2 of my 4 danios died when they were In my 10 gallon which was upgraded to the 29. One died because he was picked on and the other jumped out of his container onto my chair while I was upgrading, and I sat on him by accident. I might give the guppies and platy to my sister, and I'm going to take the swords, frog, danios and maybe the neons to college with me and put them in spare 10 gallon. Everyone else will be left at home.

J

My neons used to have a big school. 10 individuals. This was before the shark, goby, swords, and bamboo shrimp. 8 died for unknown causes. 2 of my 4 danios died when they were In my 10 gallon which was upgraded to the 29. One died because he was picked on and the other jumped out of his container onto my chair while I was upgrading, and I sat on him by accident. I might give the guppies and platy to my sister, and I'm going to take the swords, frog, danios and maybe the neons to college with me and put them in spare 10 gallon. Everyone else will be left at home.

A 29 is still too small for a shark and a dragon goby. Dragon gobies reach 15 inches in length- longer than your aquarium is wide.

JustinGatCat,

It takes two seconds to type a fish name into google and find information on them. You need to re home the goby and shark. If you really want to keep fish put a little work into it, and it will go a long way. If not, maybe this is not for you, because you are killing fish and putting them in unfair living conditions.

I don't want to crush your spirits, but just plug that stock into AqAdvisor and see what it says. You can still be a great fish keeper it just takes a little work and think more about what the fish need and less about what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

JustinGatCat,

It takes two seconds to type a fish name into google and find information on them. You need to re home the goby and shark. If you really want to keep fish put a little work into it, and it will go a long way. If not, maybe this is not for you, because you are killing fish and putting them in unfair living conditions.

I don't want to crush your spirits, but just plug that stock into AqAdvisor and see what it says. You can still be a great fish keeper it just takes a little work and think more about what the fish need and less about what you want.

+1 I totally agree.

Agree with previous posts. I would reduce your fish varieties overall though. The shark will bully/kill fish that are smaller than it and needs a 48"tank. I'm addition to the dragon goby I recommend rehoming the bn pleco for bio load reasons. Also the Angel is a little out of place in this tank and in adulthood the tank will be too small.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

JustinGatCat,

"Think more about what the fish need and less about what you want"
Excellent advice as this trips up many fish keepers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm probably going to give the live bearers away, namingly the guppies and platies. I've been meaning to get rid of some fish, but you get attached to them, so it's hard. All my fish are well mannered. My angelfish is big. I've had him since he was the size of a quarter. Left Shark and Super Death(shark and goby) are going to stay until they get big, which is probably until I leave to college. They are both babies. I've had Left Shark for about 3 months and he's cool with everybody, only chases the neons during feeding, but that's it. He has plenty of hiding spaces too. Super Death has been doing fine. 2 months in freshwater. I
Got him from a local LFS and he's been in freshwater since he was a baby baby. All are eating well. No visable signs of stress or disease. Id happily get a bigger tank. I'd love to get a bigger tank. But there's no place in my house for one, and I'm going away to college in the spring.

The shark and goby are both juveniles. They will stay until I move out, which buy them they should be close to adult size. Left Shark has lived with neons danios and other sharks since birth. I bought him and he's only little mean during feeding. He's pretty mature, but maybe like 2-2 1/2 inches. No one has killed anyone yet.(only Bassdropper, the Angel, he ate a few newborn guppies). I have done research on my fish. The goby is brackish I know, but they do good in freshwater. He's been doing fine and he's super healthy. He always hungry and likes to eat a lot. Some I got just for the juvenile period of time, because I liked them. I planned to give them away when they get too big or mean etc. I've read the minimum for an angel is 29 or 30.

The shark and goby are both juveniles. They will stay until I move out, which buy them they should be close to adult size. Left Shark has lived with neons danios and other sharks since birth. I bought him and he's only little mean during feeding. He's pretty mature, but maybe like 2-2 1/2 inches. No one has killed anyone yet.(only Bassdropper, the Angel, he ate a few newborn guppies). I have done research on my fish. The goby is brackish I know, but they do good in freshwater. He's been doing fine and he's super healthy. He always hungry and likes to eat a lot. Some I got just for the juvenile period of time, because I liked them. I planned to give them away when they get too big or mean etc. I've read the minimum for an angel is 29 or 30.

You still need to rehome quite a few fish. Your Dragon Goby will not do well for long in only Freshwater. If you had already done your research on your fish why would you come and ask us and insist on keeping a fish that NEEDS brackish water and a larger tank. Yes, a single angel is fine in a reasonably stocked 29 gallon but in such an overstocked tank the angel is going to be cramped.

My rainbow was fine with tiger barbs until he got about 3 or 4 inches. Then he started murdering them. Each fish is different, but rainbows are notorious for being bullies to fish smaller than themselves. This thread looks almost hostile, but people actually do mean well. It seems like you posted to confirm your opinion under the guise of "advice" and then you defended your opinion- understandable. Don't get me wrong, some members here will argue until the cows come home that the only way to keep fish is their way, but most people offer reasonable advice. Take it with a grain of salt (sometimes literally, lol) and seek sources that deny/confirm what you've been told if you think it's whacky. (Some people would have a coronary if they knew my water change schedule)

My rainbow was fine with tiger barbs until he got about 3 or 4 inches. Then he started murdering them. Each fish is different, but rainbows are notorious for being bullies to fish smaller than themselves. This thread looks almost hostile, but people actually do mean well. It seems like you posted to confirm your opinion under the guise of "advice" and then you defended your opinion- understandable. Don't get me wrong, some members here will argue until the cows come home that the only way to keep fish is their way, but most people offer reasonable advice. Take it with a grain of salt (sometimes literally, lol) and seek sources that deny/confirm what you've been told if you think it's whacky. (Some people would have a coronary if they knew my water change schedule)

Yeah these people are a bit savage. I wanted advice because I've seen other tanks with more fish than I in a 29 g. it's not like my fish don't have any room. My water is very
Clear, I have some live anubias and a filter too, so my water is what I would expect to be good. No fish has died yet. The dragon gobies are sensitive to ammonia and such, but he's really fine. No stress what so ever. Also my Fish are mostly babies. Most will be gone by the time I move out.

I hope I didn't come across as hostile; that was not my intention. That said, you came and asked for stocking advice and I gave you stocking advice.

I'm not surprised your tank is fine now. As babies your tank is stocked just fine. But all of those fish will create exponentially more waste than they are now when they grow, and they will grow quickly, and no amount of filtration or plants will fix that problem. I tell you this because I mean well, and want you to do well- and I've been at this for a long, long time.

Also, from experience, I would maybe try to rehome everything but the hardiest fish in that tank. I've left a tank at home to go to college before and what happens isn't pretty.

I did not mean to sound savage lol. I've just fought some people till the cows come home on dragon gobies being a brackish fish though. They live in brackish estuaries in the wild. Some here caught in freshwater and the fishermen just assumed they must be freshwater as well. But like you said, it will be gone before long.

Caleb

Leaving my tanks to go to college for 6 weeks a summer has been a disaster. First summer of my master's and my mom kills an entire tank. Yes indeed and it was my favorite tank. No survivors. Supposedly a heater malfunction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sorry if I came off as savage! :lol: We are just looking out for you and your fishes' best interest. Really my only real problem with your stocking is your dragon goby but it is your tank so it really is your decision. (y)

Honestly I look out for animals first. They have no voice. If you have rehoming plans in the hopper just stick to them and when you stock a tank again stock to the largest size each fish will attain. Most of us have had a goldfish in a bowl i.e. inappropriate tank stocking at one time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom