Stock to help control cherry shrimp pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 20 gallon high tank my cherry shrimp are starting to breed out of control. Is there a fish that could help with shrimp pop that would get along with current stock. Currently besides shrimp have a dg and a school of black neons. Don't want to wipe out pop just have somebody snack on the smaller ones

Surprised your current fish aren't doing any snacking on the babies. Why don't you trade some into the LFS?

Had the tank as a nano tank moved the nanos out and the gourami and black neons in. But the aren't making a dent in the population. Not sure if lfs would take them. I bought originals online and weren't the best coloring. Probably culls.

Do you or any of your family/friends have larger fish (cichlids in particular)? Could use the overstock as feeder shrimp.

There's no market where you live for dull-colored cherry shrimp? There's a market for them here. I'm sure the LFS would give you some small amount of money for them.

I do have a 75g tank with a african brown knife fish pearl gouramis and zebra loaches that could prey on then but still afraid of a colony forming. Tons of hiding spots. And I know this may sound odd but don't mind the circle of life thing going in my 20. The idea of picking out shrimp just to feed to my bigger fish bothers me.

Use a local fish friend or LFS to take them for now, but definitely, look into shipping them! There is a lot of demand for shrimp, for pets or feeders. Always another hungry pufferfish ;) .

Tell me you're in the west midland area of England? I'll quite happily take some of your baby shrimp off your hands.

I do have a 75g tank with a african brown knife fish pearl gouramis and zebra loaches that could prey on then but still afraid of a colony forming. Tons of hiding spots. And I know this may sound odd but don't mind the circle of life thing going in my 20. The idea of picking out shrimp just to feed to my bigger fish bothers me.

Pearl gouramis and abk will eat them. Watching an abk eat shrimp is EXTREMELY entertaining. I have seen one grab the shrimp in its mouth and shake its head like a dog trying to break it in half. Thatbwas with ghosties.

Back
Top Bottom