Stock update. Tell me if its too crowded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjs2115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am still in the long stretch, with my nitrogen cycle, but I wanted to get some opinions on my stocking ideas.
If you have seen my other post, you know I was dumb, like many first-timers, and put fish in too early.

It's a 29 gallon tall tank.
In it so far, I have
6 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams
5 Guppies
2 Platy
1 Clown Pleco.

Even though my cycle doesn't appear to be 100% complete, I have lost nobody...everyone is energetic and eating well.
So my questions is - do I even have room for any new friends...down the road?
I'd like to get some peppered cories and maybe a dwarf gourami.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I have actually used that site. It says I do not have enough filtration. But, I know they also play it safe with those numbers.
So I'd rather hear from people with years of experience in this hobby.
I have no problem doing water changes as needed.

Thanks!

If Aqadvisor tells you that you do not have enough filtration, regardless of whether they play it safe or not, I would say you don't have enough filtration. I try to get my filtration on there over 150% and stocking at around 90%. That isn't to say that you could not do more than that. I just don't believe you can over filtrate. As far as the stocking, what percentage does it say you are at?

I think it has me at like 85-90%, with my current stock. It's been a few weeks since I did it.
But I could get a larger, or second, filter right?

Yes you could. For instance, I run an aquaclear 50 on my 20 gallon tank, and for a while I was running an aqueon quietflow 10 in addition. I ended up taking it off, as it caused too much flow. But I would definitely recommend aquaclear filters. I use them on both my tanks and they work flawlessly. They are pretty reasonable in price too.

And also I think you could probably get away with 4 or 5 corys with the added filtration. I like panda corys. Peppered corys are cool too, but they get a little bigger. With a 29 gallon, I would probably shoot for about 50 gallons of filtration and I don't think 70 would be overkill at all.

Right now I have a Marineland Penguin 200 Power Filter. It says it's good for up to 50 gallons and my tank is only 29 gallon. I may have even enter the wrong one, a smaller one, in that AqAdvisor thingy.

And also I think you could probably get away with 4 or 5 corys with the added filtration. I like panda corys. Peppered corys are cool too, but they get a little bigger. With a 29 gallon, I would probably shoot for about 50 gallons of filtration and I don't think 70 would be overkill at all.

Are panda cories harder to find at LFS? Are the good schooling fish?

So I am still in the long stretch, with my nitrogen cycle, but I wanted to get some opinions on my stocking ideas.
If you have seen my other post, you know I was dumb, like many first-timers, and put fish in too early.

It's a 29 gallon tall tank.
In it so far, I have
6 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams
5 Guppies
2 Platy
1 Clown Pleco.

Even though my cycle doesn't appear to be 100% complete, I have lost nobody...everyone is energetic and eating well.
So my questions is - do I even have room for any new friends...down the road?
I'd like to get some peppered cories and maybe a dwarf gourami.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Im curious how big does that pleco get? I have a 29 gallon as well waiting on the right pleco and would like some info

He's a clown pleco, so they do not get very big...definitely not the size of your normal pleco. I want to say he'll get 4-5 max"

Pandas might be harder to find and a tad more expensive, but not that much. You could still do peppered if you cannot find pandas. I just find pandas much cuter. They are similar to all corys. They are goofy, shoaling bottom dwellers. They are more active at night, but still pretty active during the day. I love my corys. That filter should be fine, when you add the fish be sure to test your water; the results will tell you if you need more filtration. You will probably see a mini cycle as is common when adding new fish. But continued elevated levels of ammonia would warrant further filtration.

He's a totally wuss. haha. You never see him. They are nocturnal, so obviously he's not gonna be as active during the day. Even at night, I rarely see him. He just chills in his lil cave.
One thing a lot of people have told me, is that you NEED driftwood for them. I just got some. It's in the process of soaking now, to remove the tannins from it.
So I am hoping once he gets that, he'll be more active. They actually feed off the wood.
I have seen the clown pleco in most LFS. Check it out. Cool lil guys. And I have heard not all are as shy as mine. But don't count on him sticking to the glass, like the other species you see in the store.

He's a totally wuss. haha. You never see him. They are nocturnal, so obviously he's not gonna be as active during the day. Even at night, I rarely see him. He just chills in his lil cave.
One thing a lot of people have told me, is that you NEED driftwood for them. I just got some. It's in the process of soaking now, to remove the tannins from it.
So I am hoping once he gets that, he'll be more active. They actually feed off the wood.
I have seen the clown pleco in most LFS. Check it out. Cool lil guys. And I have heard not all are as shy as mine. But don't count on him sticking to the glass, like the other species you see in the store.

Yeah i have two decent driftwood pieces in my tank in preparation for a pleco. Ive been waiting on a starlight bristlenose but im getting so impatient my LFS obviously doesnt have certain plecs all the time and they're rare to begin with. Good luck with him i hope the driftwood helps!

Yeah i have two decent driftwood pieces in my tank in preparation for a pleco. Ive been waiting on a starlight bristlenose but im getting so impatient my LFS obviously doesnt have certain plecs all the time and they're rare to begin with. Good luck with him i hope the driftwood helps!

Thanks! Good luck on finding your pleco friend!

Anyone else have suggestions/critiques on my stocking list? All advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

I think you are fully stocked, I mean maybe you could add a bit more but not a whole school more like one fish. Also, panda corys need cooler water, and probably won't do well.

Thanks for the info on stock advisor. Its meant to be conservative from general comment but on occasion will give apparent high stocks. Just IMO on the numbers I think it is getting close now. I would give it 3 months and see how it goes, then if ok, rearrange tank as needed and add any more fish. The time will also allow the tank to fully mature and cope with the load and you get an idea of how the tank is going.

Thanks for the info on stock advisor. Its meant to be conservative from general comment but on occasion will give apparent high stocks. Just IMO on the numbers I think it is getting close now. I would give it 3 months and see how it goes, then if ok, rearrange tank as needed and add any more fish. The time will also allow the tank to fully mature and cope with the load and you get an idea of how the tank is going.

I agree as far as stocking goes. It's good to let the tank mature first.

Back
Top Bottom