Stocking 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ze_Ubermuffin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've decided to take the plunge into salt water with a 10 gallon. I've done my research on setting up and everything but for stocking I have basically no idea. I think that Pom Pom crabs would be interesting and maybe some kind of goby but any ideas are welcome!

Clown gobies are really cute and would be fine in that size tank. Maybe even a small watchman goby and shrimp pair too. You will be pretty limited though with only a 10g tank unfortunately.

Ok. Those look neat. Any recommendable shrimp? And what are some good corals?

The only shrimp I would steer you away from are coral bannded ones, they can be aggressive towards other shrimp. But fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp and peppermints are neat to have. :)

Your corals will depend on what your lighting is.

Pistol shrimp with gobies are very cool! Porcelain crabs are cool too. In a ten I feel like the inverts are really the stars of the show. What kind of lighting will you have?

I haven't got my lighting yet. Still in the late planning stage. I would like to get some t5s in something fairly bright.

So for stock would it be acceptable to have: - 3 Pom Pom crabs,
- 2 cleaner shrimp,
- 2 clown gobies?

Clown gobies IME can be aggressive with other clown gobies. They get along fine with the prawn gobies though. I would suggest a clown goby and a red hi fin banded shrimp goby/randals pistol shrimp pair. you can also look up the other types of prawn gobies, I just love my hi fin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some sexy shrimp, which will also clean your corals. Plus very entertaining.

Heres what i would go with OP-
Fish-
1 clown goby
Hi fin goby and pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 pom pom crab
And maybe 2-3 hermits and call it a day.

If you wanted you could switch out the clown goby for a fire fish?

But 2 small fish is really all that can fit in a 10g.

+1 clown gobies. One, maybe two would probably be great in a 10g. Plus they're really cute :) and fun to watch

Court jester gobies are another cool active low bio load fish that you can look into. Will get along great with a clown goby and it will also clean our sand bed

Back
Top Bottom