Stocking 29 gallon for my daugther - Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is currently sitting for 24 hours to check for leaks and then I'm going to start cycling. At this point I'm planning a fish only tank with the option to go planted later. I'd like to keep the fish somewhat colorful to keep my daughter interested so I'm thinking, tetras, corys, ottos, and maybe a gourami. Is there any other colorful/fun fish you would recommend I include or substitute?

Dwarf Gouramis (I have a male and three females), and a school of Arlequin Rasboras. Those fishes like plants though. I started with Java Ferns (super easy to keep) and they don't need nothing too fancy to grow.

I think for kids then fewer, but bigger and colourful fish. Personally I like Mollies, you could get a bunch of them in a 29 gallon, all different colours.

That way she can identify and name each of them, rather than them being a collection of identical looking shoaling fish!

Guppies would go well too if you wanted some variety.

And of course Cories go without saying ;)

Bettas. IME, they make great community fish. A male and three females adds a lot of color to the tank.

I think for kids then fewer, but bigger and colourful fish. Personally I like Mollies, you could get a bunch of them in a 29 gallon, all different colours.

That way she can identify and name each of them, rather than them being a collection of identical looking shoaling fish!

Guppies would go well too if you wanted some variety.

And of course Cories go without saying ;)

I hadn't thought about the possible"boring" aspect of a bunch of tetras. Thanks for the idea!

I agree with Mark about the bigger different colored fish. I'd go with different platy (come in tons of colors, some have Mickey Mouse heads if you like Disney) and guppies, all males or all females to prevent breeding. I'd also get cory cats and dwarf gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom