stocking 55gal angelfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtney1291

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time with a tank larger than 30 gallons and I really want a tank with a lot of color and movement. I wanted to try discus, but I don't know if I'm brave enough for that yet, haha.

I think I have decided I want to try angelfish and low aggression cichlids. I have a new 55gal and this is a list I have come up with. I tend to really like bottom dwelling fish and it's hard for me to choose, so I tried to pick a few things I haven't tried before other than the plecos.

Does this list seem doable? Can I add more fish? What do you recommend? I'm planning on doing black sand substrate, some driftwood and lightly planting with several floating plants.

top-
5 mollies

mid-
2 angel fish
5 blue ram cichlids

bottom-
2 red whiptail catfish
2 kuhli loaches
1 bristlenose pleco

Thank you for any and all help. I really appreciate it. :)

This is my first time with a tank larger than 30 gallons and I really want a tank with a lot of color and movement. I wanted to try discus, but I don't know if I'm brave enough for that yet, haha.

I think I have decided I want to try angelfish and low aggression cichlids. I have a new 55gal and this is a list I have come up with. I tend to really like bottom dwelling fish and it's hard for me to choose, so I tried to pick a few things I haven't tried before other than the plecos.

Does this list seem doable? Can I add more fish? What do you recommend? I'm planning on doing black sand substrate, some driftwood and lightly planting with several floating plants.

top-

5 mollies

mid-

2 angel fish

5 blue ram cichlids

bottom-

2 red whiptail catfish

2 kuhli loaches

1 bristlenose pleco

Thank you for any and all help. I really appreciate it. :)

Rams don't like groups. I'd do one pair. Esp since they are territorial.

Kuhlis do like groups. I'd Up the numbers and make sure you use soft sand.

Since you say you like color...

This is my current stock in my 55g

21 Neons
9 Rummynose
5 Otos
4 Roseline Sharks
4 Corydoras sterbai ( more soon)
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Farlowella
IMG_3984.jpgIMG_3279.jpgIMG_4392.jpgIMG_4099.jpgIMG_4387.jpg

awesome thank you! gives me a few more fish to consider. i just read that mollies may nip my angels fins. What are other fish for the top level of the tank that may be something you don't see everyday?

ok, so this is my new list. does this look better? could I add more? Maybe another schooling fish?

top-
10 rummy nose tetra

mid-
2 angel fish
2 blue ram cichlids

bottom-
2 red whiptail catfish
5 kuhli loaches
1 bristlenose pleco

Is there anything else like a kuhli that gets long and eel looking that may be cool and active?

ok, so this is my new list. does this look better? could I add more? Maybe another schooling fish?

top-

10 rummy nose tetra

mid-

2 angel fish

2 blue ram cichlids

bottom-

2 red whiptail catfish

5 kuhli loaches

1 bristlenose pleco

Is there anything else like a kuhli that gets long and eel looking that may be cool and active?

I think that is a good stocking, but if you want a top dweller, you can rule out rummy nose tetras. They tend to swim all over the tank, but mostly towards the bottom, hiding under cover.

Rummynose aren't top swimmers. Mine do explore the whole tank.

You might try a Pearl or Honey Gourami. Both are healthier than Dwarf Gouramis. But keep an eye out. Sometimes Angels and Gouramis don't mix. I haven't had an issue.

Hatchets are delicate and like floating plants and tight lids. Most people don't have good luck with them. Some wont take Flakes and need frozen. I prefer to keep them in species tanks or with quiet peaceful fish.

Bristlenose and Whiptails ? They may compete. Just make sure the Whiptails are getting food.

Back
Top Bottom