Stocking 5G Cube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I was wonering if you could help me out here.

I just got back into the hobby about a month ago, and started out my 5G cube again.

So far, I just have a betta in there.

ForumRunner_20130707_160007.jpg

What else should I add to the tank? I was thinking about adding 7 chili rasboras, or 7 CPD's, or even a (M&F) pair of scarlet badis. What do you guys think?

Oh, and I do 3g PWC every sunday, but Im definitely willing to do 2 PWC's every week to make up for the bioload.

Thanks!

1st day
ForumRunner_20130707_160624.jpg

Current FTS
ForumRunner_20130707_160822.jpg

some shrimp or a snail are your only options in a 5g with a betta... if you want any other fish you could get a 10g tank or bigger!

some shrimp or a snail are your only options in a 5g with a betta... if you want any other fish you could get a 10g tank or bigger!

I don't think shrimp would be a wise choice with a beta around....and I disagree, chili rasboras for example have a very very small bioload, and if nitrates were a problem wouldn't the 2 PWC a week take care of them? Or is it just the lack of space in a 5 gallon cube? Thanks for the input! :)

That's a very nice looking setup. Not to start a debate, but I've never had luck putting bettas with any other fish. I've tried it with 3 different bettas.

That's a very nice looking setup. Not to start a debate, but I've never had luck putting bettas with any other fish. I've tried it with 3 different bettas.

Thank you! So the bettas were aggressive? Is there any way I can test if my bettas aggressive twards other fish without actually buying any fish?

Umm if it flares up at your hand or if you go by the tank and it flares up it might be a sign...but the only real way to find out is to get a fish in there with it of course

I have no issues with my bettas, male or female, with other fish. Currently all my females are in a community tank with rams, swords, guppies, and cories. My males are either with Endlers, guppies, and/or mollies and swords. All of them have snails in the tank and while they hunt the occasional babies, they don't bother with the larger ones. However they do eat shrimp like candy, I have up on that idea a long time ago lol

BUT, 5 gallons just isn't enough swimming space for either of the fish you want. Even though their bioload may be low, they are far too active to feel comfortable in anything less than 15-20 gallons.
If you really want to add another type of fish to it, maybe some male guppies, or a trio if you want to give your betta some snacks every month or so.
You could try a larger shrimp like Amanos or ghosts, but stay away from dwarfs like RCS, rili's, and CRS.

5 gallons doesn't give you a lot of options.

The bettas I've owned were really a mixed bag. Some were ok with tankmates and others were really aggressive. If the tank didn't have the betta I would add some heterandia formosa, elassoma evergladei, or scarlet badis.

Back
Top Bottom