stocking a 10 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 10 gal. w/11lbs of LR. i was looking for ideas on how many/ how many inches of fish and how many inverts i can put w/out overstocking. suggestions on hardy fish would be nice too. thanks.

1 small fish is all you can get in there IMO. Not too many choices. Maybe a small clown. Im going to move this to the nano forum. You`ll get good advice there

Included with a clown you just might be able to squeeze in a small blenny or a goby or a six-line wrasse.

I like the sound of:

x2 (pair) of A. percula/ocellaris
x2 (pair) cardinals
x1 Stonogobiops sp., Yasha/Whiteray Shrimp Goby

x1 Alpheus randalli, Pistol Shrimp

you can easily fit this in your tank as long as you are dilligent with your care.

I have a small 6 line wrasse, a feather duster and some snails. Am hoping to get some small hermits and probably another duster but that's it.

I agree with only housing a single fish in a 10 gallon tank. Another fish to consider would be small Gobies such as Clown, Neon, Masked, Trimma, Greenbanded, etc. They all stay small and would be a great fish for a 10 gallon tank. You could also keep a Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish as they stay small and would be a very interesting fish for your tank.

Disagree with 1 fish. I agree with Innovator more can be kept for sure, however please do not put a six-line in a 10!

However in a 10 you can add something like 3 fish. Barnicle Blennys are great characters.

In my last nano I had a barnicle, 1 True perc, 1 purple firefish (Jumpers), and it went well with SPS.

There are some cool nano forums out there and they all keep more than 1 fish, but I also see how people that have not had nanos to think otherwise.

blennies are generally bad ideas as they eat pods , so they need a super mature tank and a large one as they will deplete there food source in a matter of weeks if not days I think that you could get away with 3 small fish . Gobies are a good choice , and as are fire fish , and percs. or ocer clowns ... if you go with 3 fish please remember to keep up on your water changes as well.

I am hear to share my knowledge and I do not want to argue, however you are incorrect. Barnicle Blennys are a great nano fish. Scooter Blennys eat pods as they are really dragonets, not barnicle blennys. In fact Liveaquaria lists 2 other blennys as nano fish. Scooter Blennys are the only ones that rely on pods.

There is a wide range of blennys and the only active pod eater is the scooter which is more of a mandarin.

Branicle Blenny==Established tank YES, PODs-NO, 10 gal-YES

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1414&N=0

Thank you for clairafying that I was a bit misleading on my statement I am sorry . Barnical blennies are also known to be hit or miss to nipping on corals as well

No problem Sadielynn we all do it! I have had 2 in nano SPS tanks but you know what they say, nothing is ever for sure.

Fish are IMO very important to nano system because of the food source they provide for corals and inverts. Just keep the nitrates down and you can do a 2-3 fish.

In my research ( seting up 10gal nanoreef now ) I found that the rule of thumb is 1/2 inch of adult fish per gallon . That would give you 5 inches of fish . I'm not sure if that takes into account that a 10gal doesn't hold 10 gallons of water not to mention LR and LS taking space also.

I have 3 fish in my 10 gal that are doing well. 2 x pink skunk clowns and 1 x orange fire dart

Back
Top Bottom