Stocking a 10 gallon FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuCraM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody I am just in the process of finishing the cycle on my 10 gallon FW aquarium. I have a basic charcoal filter, gravel substrate and fake plants and a long air stone for oxygen. I want to stock it with tropical fish with cool colors. Can you all give me an idea of how many I can stock and of which kinds. I am partial to the neon tetras.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of space in a 10 gallon. There are some really gorgeous Killies, or you could go with Micro Rasboras, or perhaps some small Rainbowfish. The neons could work as well.

I'm like Mollies - They come in a variety of shapes and colors - if your patient and shop around you'll see what I mean - they are a hardy fish and quite active. I'm not too sure how many to put in a 10gal though. When I had a tank (many year ago) there was an unwritten rule of 1gal of water for every inch of fish - but I don't know if that still applies - like I said I'm returning to fish keeping after a long abscence

If you're partial to the neons those could work in a 10g, probably 6-8 or so would be okay, and 3 or so cories as well

Pick a Cory species that stays under 2". Panda Cories and False Julii/Trilineatus Cories are 2 that are commonly sold and stay small. I would have 5 of those (1 species). Pygmy or Dwarf Cories would work too, if you can find them. You could have 6-7 of those in a 10g with about 6 Neons.

Back
Top Bottom