stocking a 20 gallon aquarium? help!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kim_luvs_fish.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i'm getting a 20 gallon fish tank in october and am wondering what i could stock it with. I have a betta in a smaller tank right now and am planning on moving him in to the 20 when i get it. anyway i went to aqadvisor.com and this is what i came up with:
6 bleeding heart tetras,
6 neon tetras,
4 panda cories and the betta. feel free to check this out there and tell me what you think. by the way the tank is a 20 long and the filter is a Cascade 600. I also came up with a stocking idea NOT including the betta in case i decide to just leave him in the smaller tank. this is what i worked out:
6 bleeding heart tetras,
5 neon tetras,
4 panda cories,
3 guppies and 1 kribenses. it sounds a little overstocked to me :nono:, but aqadvisor.com said it was fine. but thats why i want all your opinions. i want whats best for the fish!
:thanks:

Im not sure on the stocking but I'd up the neons and cories to 6 each if not more! They show more personality IMO if kept in larger groups.

Hi i'm getting a 20 gallon fish tank in october and am wondering what i could stock it with. I have a betta in a smaller tank right now and am planning on moving him in to the 20 when i get it. anyway i went to aqadvisor.com and this is what i came up with:
6 bleeding heart tetras,
6 neon tetras,
4 panda cories and the betta. feel free to check this out there and tell me what you think. by the way the tank is a 20 long and the filter is a Cascade 600. I also came up with a stocking idea NOT including the betta in case i decide to just leave him in the smaller tank. this is what i worked out:
6 bleeding heart tetras,
5 neon tetras,
4 panda cories,
3 guppies and 1 kribenses. it sounds a little overstocked to me :nono:, but aqadvisor.com said it was fine. but thats why i want all your opinions. i want whats best for the fish!
:thanks:
I think your first stock sounds better. Aqavisor does not always give very good advice. I agree that the second stock seems like a bit much.
If you want betta friends in a 20 gallon, there are a few options. First though, I have to say that not all bettas get along with tankmates. Most do ok, but some attack anything in there space. I would recommend adding him last and putting him a breeding net for a while to see how he reacts to the other fish. If there is a problem, he can stay in his smaller tank.
Possible tankmates would be corys, kuhli loaches, otos, snails, platys, neons, ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, and most other slower moving schooling tetras. Avoid fish with flowing fins, guppies, and gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom