Stocking a 27 Hex Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flexxy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey All! Im starting a 27 gallon Hex tank, I have an Emperor 280 for my filtration. My problem is, I don't know what to stock it with. Right now i have 9 Zebra Danios in there to cycle the tank which i had from a previous set up. I really like Kribs, but I've been checking out the angels at my LFS and think they'd look great in there too, not to mention many people say angels do well in the taller tanks. Im not sure how the kribs would act with the angels, i havn't read anything saying they dont mix well. But with fish that size, and the smaller tank, i cant get that many in there, i can't decide if i'd rather see more smaller fish (such as tetras and barbs) or go with the angels and have less fish (which i just have to decide :p ) but i was thinking going with a pair of angels, maybe 4 kribs and 4 or 5 Harlequin Rasboras... i also like cory cats too but i've read sometimes the kribs and the corys dont mix well. i understand the old 1 inch rule too and with the 10 or so fish i mentioned im a little over the limit.. also i'd need to get a cave for the kribs, all i have is a few plastic plants, i want to go with live plants but there are more questions i have on that, so ill save that for another topic :wink: So i've typed way too much for my 1st post, hehe so ill stop there, shoot some opinions, idea, personal experiences my way and let me know :) thanx alot!

Flex

hey welcome to AA.

the first thing about the angels is they would get too big in there. I think thats even too small for just the angels by themselves. If you wanted to go with the 4 kribs i think that would be fine, but beware, i've heard they bread a lot! If you got the 4 kribs, i'd say you could get more rasboras too, maybe up to 9? And no i wouldnt put the cories w/the kribs because the kribs are a little aggressive and i think they stay at the bottom, and the cories arent very agressive i dont think, and they do stay at the bottom. As far as the plants go, you want as many as you can basically...live or not. And might i add that, in my 40 gallon, i didnt have very many plastic plants to begin with, and they didnt look too real...i added a TON of plastic plants and now you cant tell the difference between live/fake.

Update!! i've decided not to go with angels... so right now im looking at going with 2 kribs, 6 rasboras... then im thinking like 10 pristella tetras or 6 rosy barbs. I don't know of the barbs would give the kribs or rasboras a hard time if the barbs are in a group like that, i wouldn't think so. altho seeing a school of 10 tetras would be neat too. How about school of cardinal tetras, would they be compatible with the kribs and rasboras?

Thanx everyone!

Back
Top Bottom